Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I've had my drive shaft out for 6 months ('65 V8 car). I put it back in Saturday. Something just doesn't seem right with the U-Joint in back. This is an 8", and is stock as far as I know. There are 2 c-shaped clips that clamp the U-joint to the yoke. These c-shaped clips go through holes in the yoke and are secured with nuts. As far as I can tell, nothing locates the U-joint so that it is centered in the yoke. That has me really buffaloed. It seems to me that if I don't have it EXACTLY centered I'm going to have one hell of a vibration, and probably ruin something pretty quickly. I eyeballed it and centered it the best I could...but I can't imagine that is the proper way to do this.

What am I missing here? Is it possible I have a non-stock u-joint, the wrong clips, or something funky going on with my yoke?

Any help, would as usual, be much appreciated.

Phil

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
There are two small flanges/bumps/protrusions on the bottom of the area the u-joint sits against. The u-joint (if it is the right size) will just barely fit between the two protuding surfaces. Two possibilities. You've got the incorrect u-joint, or you somehow broke off the bumps (although there would be roughness that would be easy to spot if that were the case).

John Harvey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts