Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I atempted to replace my u-joints today and they are unlike any other joints I have seen before. Well I only changed them once before on a late model ranger. I will admit I had to look it up in my mannual, hey thats what it's for right. The front one is real bad but the back is fine but i thought I would replace it anyway and do this once..
Any way they are telling me to remove the clips ofcorse and use a socket to hammer out the Bearing caps......laying on my back with the car up on jack stands.....I gave up. they didn't budge. I put the clips on and gave up..... well I was late so I had too.
What am i doing wrong is there some trick to this or do I have to keep swingin' the hammer untill they pop out....Any ideas. TIA

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=45943937&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You've got to pull the driveshaft to replace the U-joints. The rear U-joint is held in by two U-bolts, the front is attached to the yoke, which slides inside your tranny. Remove the nuts and U-bolts and the driveshaft should drop right out.

It's easy once you get the driveshaft out. You should be OK with a socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the U-joint cap and a mallet. Be extremely carefull not to loose any of the roller bearings from the inside of the caps.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mlnielsen on 04/11/01 10:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
why dont u pull your driveshaft out and get it somewhere u can work on it. ive never changed u joints while under the car. u might try heating it up with a torch, then hitting it some more. actually me and my dad cut mine off with a torch right down the middle of the u joint. probaly not the best thing to do though.

Corpus Christi TX<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shutupanddrive on 04/11/01 10:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
damn!! i hate when i type a reply up and send it just to find somebody already sent the same thing while i was typing.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Let me get this right, you are pounding the cr*p out of the U joint and the yoke is still in the transmission? Why dont you try removing the driveshaft and placing it on a firm surface? You could use a large C clamp to push it out while it is in place but I don't recall anyone trying it while it is still in the vehicle. John

It would be a shame to have passed the test but to have missed the lesson.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Remove the drive shaft from thew car, remove the retaining clips. If you have a large vise and some sockets, what I do is put a socket large enough for the cup being pressed out to go inside between the yoke and one side of the vise. I put one smaller than a cup on the opposite one and use the vise to push the cup out. Reverse the proceedre to reinstall

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I do it the way Shelby does it. It is alot easier to do it with
the drive shaft out of the car. You may have hurt the trans.
by hitting the drive line with a hammer while it was in the car.
I did see my brother one time un-bolt the vise from the bench
and drag it under his Camaro to do some press work. He needed
some guidance and direction also.

G

·
0 Posts
I change ujoints exactly this way - pull the shaft, pop it into the vice (helps if you have at least a 5" vice), put the proper sockets in there, and away you go.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

1 - 9 of 9 Posts