Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the universal joints out of the driveshaft? Do I need special equipment like a puller or does a hammer work as well? Do I need to take the cups with the bearings off to get the new ones in? Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can get the driveshaft out of the car with just a wrench, but you'll need a press of some sort to get the U-joints out of the driveshaft.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You must first remove the locks, whether they are inner locking or outer locking. Then, whith all locks removed, I use a big socket (I usually use an impact socket to keep from damaging one) and drive them out with the socket and a hammer. You'll have to drive it to one side until you can remove the cap, then drive it back the other way.

Remove the zerk fittings prior to starting, and put the zerk fittings into the new ones as the very last step.

Yes, you need to remove the caps/bearings to install the new ones. Be VERY carefull you don't knock a bearing out of place or you'll toast the u-joint in about 100 miles.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like this advice is a little sporatic, so here is some more comp[lete info. This info come from working with a '66 with a 3 speed. Pop the retainer clips off the caps (on mine they were on the inside of where the u-joint meets the shaft) knock the drive shaft back and forth (I used a rubber mallet) and remove the now loose caps, replace the u-joint as you took it off. As said be very careful with the bearings, and if you can try and find a new joint with sealed bearing (may not be possible, I had to find a small shop in bloomington that specialized in tractor drive shafts to find one) then the secret I found is to use vise grips with a locking c-clamp (here is webpage on vise grips so you can see what I mean: http://www.vise-griptool.com/pi/toolsrch.asp?contentID=103 ) to compress the new caps on to the joint while you attach the new retainer clips.

Hope that helps,
John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bearing caps were so rotten, We had to cut the hole U-joints in half. They didn´t move at all until they were seperated. Then we needed to drive them out with a punch. A pin in the... let me tell you.The driveshaft obiously came of a car that must have sunk into the wet ground of a swamp and been sitting there for years. Hopefully it doesn´t break when I step on it the first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts