Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at the Yellow Rose Show pics posted earlier...
Saw what sure looks like the flag on the floor by the front doors of some cars displayed..
This strikes me as entirely unappropriate!
Granted to the displayer, that they intend no disrespect..
Would like to hear some comments on this practice and maybe Miss Laurie of the MCA/ Trouble fame could pursue a sugestive article in the MCA magazine advising this "flaf on floor" display be stopped
On a closing note, I'm no different than any of you other guys..just happen to have done 3 combat tours in V.N. and have 4 purple hearts..

G

·
0 Posts
after seeing your post i looked at the pictures,i saw one and it looks to me like its a floormat with american flag print on it,but thats just me-Pete

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post was by "bluefinger"..8/13/02..time 08:37am
Look at the "participants" photos..rows 11,12,13 on the page. At least 10 displays...

G

·
0 Posts
Looks like a floor mat. It's still in bad taste though. Wipe your feet on the flag?? What was the manufacturer thinkin'??

Mark

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree with you ambush. That is a totally inappropriate display of the American Flag. Although it appears that the Cougar owners are the culprits. Maybe they were part of a Cougar club or something.

For those that are interested, here is a web site that lists the proper flag etiquette. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

On a side note, from someone who didn't serve, I'd like to say thank you to you and all veterans for putting your a$$ on the line each and every day to keep this country free.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I know that I shouldn't even post this and this is not meant to make anybody mad. It is my view point that you can't make a person patriotic in a free country by telling them how they have to view things. A lot of the flag wavers nowadays don't appreicate or understand what it's supposed to mean anyway. A person has the right to display a flag in any maner that they see fit, it's freedom of speech. Without freedom of speech the flag wouldn't be worth cotton and dyes it's made of. Now if you agree or not with how it's displayed is up to you and is your right. I would like to thank you for your service to our country and wish that more people felt like you. I'm more personally concerned with the rights we're losing such as what color to paint your house,what can be stored in your yard, right to defend yourself, and right of priviacy. More rights have been stomped on in the last 20 years than the previous 200. That concerns me more.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
After seeing the pictures I think an antenna flag would have been a better choice. They shouldn't have put those flags on the floor.

I went to Washington DC with my sons class this Summer. While there we were in one of the Federal Buildings and a couple of the kids sat on the floor waiting to continue the tour. The Gaurd gave them a RATION-o-S#!~ and made them stand up. Seems it's a show of disrespect and against the law to sit on the floor in one of our Federal Buildings.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I believe the law states that as long as the word "God" doesn't appear it's OK /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Seriously, I'm more concerned with a persons intent than their actions. Like you said, these people obviously didn't mean any disrespect toward the flag or the country, and in fact probably thought those floor mats were a show of patriotism. I agree that they got it a bit wrong there though.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
I haven't looked at the pictures yet, but I will. I agree with you, especially considering the events of the past year, that the floor is not the place for our flag. I'd be glad to pass along the comments at the board meeting, although MCA can't dictate a lot of what happens at a show. There are show guidelines, but as far as I know, none refer to displays (other than judged cars can't have them). I'll check it out.

·
4,129 Posts
I agree that it was an inappropriate display of the United States Flag. I however do not think that placement was intended to wipe shoes on before entering the cars, just a convenient place to put the flags. However we (as Americans) are not suppose to put a United States flag on the ground.

http://www.ntmconline.org/photos/yellowrose2002/participants/images/P8100067_tm.jpg http://www.ntmconline.org/photos/yellowrose2002/participants/images/P8100068_tm.jpg http://www.ntmconline.org/photos/yellowrose2002/participants/images/P8110155_tm.jpg
This display of the United States flag is more appropriate. http://www.ntmconline.org/photos/yellowrose2002/participants/images/P8100091_tm.jpg
JMHO fd

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
I've let Bill Johnson (MCA President) know about the concerns expressed here and also forwarded one of the pictures of the display so he can see for himself. As soon as I hear back, I'll let you know what he says about the suggestion to mention this in Mustang Times.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As a USMC veteran and the son of a veteran my personal feelins are thus:
Any display of patriotism, be it flag, speech or actions is better than no show of patriotism. The "Great Seal of the United States" is embroidered into the carpet of the Oval Office. It gets stepped upon by some of the most patriotic people our country knows and some of its most dire enemies. Regardless, it isn't even hinted about as a sign of disrespect. Nor should it be. Someone may have made the flag mats by hand (or got them at wal-mart, I saw them there) with such an exuberance of spirit that they could GIVE a little something back to this country. I've seen flags everywhere since September 11th and it strikes me as funny to what lengths people will go to show support or patriotism.
My father disagrees totally with me on all this. He was raised and raised me to respect the flag, up at dawn, down at sunset or else lit up 24x7. If it touches the ground, burn it or bury it. Fly it at half mast only when your heart (not the government) tells you to. Know the pride, the sacrifice, the suffering and the pain that made this symbol great to many people across many lands. That's from my father's lessons on the flag. I respect him very much, so much that I can disagree with him on this subject.
Do I or would I have a flag doormat? Nope, never. Do I believe I can judge someone else's feelings on how to show their gratitude or anger at our flag? No. However don't believe that if you light my flag on fire that I won't start a quick game of "cowboys vs. muslims" !!
D

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Here's the response from Bill:

"Like you, I don't like the concept. There are two shows of MCA before us: The Grand National and Southern Rumble. There is no way an article can be printed in the MT in that short span of time, but I will commit myself to walk both show courses, and review any Mustang displays, and watch for Cougars. I walk and talk at the shows anyway, so this is not a difficult task to accomplish."

I will do the same at the Grand National, although I don't anticipate it happening there as the show is outside. Perhaps in a later issue of MT we can mention displaying the flag. There is a three-month lead time on the magazine.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Incidents like this are why I cringe at all the flag displays: How is subjecting a flag to hurricane-force winds by attaching it to your car a show of patriotism? In a real hurricane, the flag would be lowered (I hope). Also, printing flags on doormats, placemats, etc., means that images of the flag are winding up in trashcans and roadside ditches.

And only the president (or governor in the case of the death of a state official) may order flags flown at half staff (ashore) or half mast (at sea). Flying it at half staff when Dale Earnhardt died may have been touching but was incorrect.

For every properly displayed flag I see, I see a good number that are tattered, soiled, rained on and dragging the ground. Ironically, some of the people displaying the flag in this way are probably people who would support constitutional amendments against flag desecration. By the way, the Supreme Court ruled in a landmark flag desecration case that the image of an American flag on a patch sewn onto the seat of a man's jeans does not constitute flag desecration, with which the defendant had been charged. Don't recall the case name. So be careful of laws you support and the unintended consequences, or your flag swimsuit, T-shirt, etc., might become unconstitutional.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For all you young Bucks (and Does) that want to be so tolerant of everything so as not to offend anyone is a strong catalyst for what is going wrong in our country.

There ARE absolutes to be respected and upheld. It's like all the Irish-American, African-American, Mexican-American... crap that is shoved down our throats. Are you an American or not. Make up you feeble mind. If you don't want to be an American go someplace else. I'm sure George Washington and his boys would enjoy discussing it with you.

I'm an American-Amercan! And proud of it!

You hit a hot button with me.

Bob

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Freedom of speech and freedom to be oneself--two of the key tenets the flag represents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts