Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ive got this 351w here... and well as much respect i have for some of them, i dont like mine. Ive put about $3500 in the top end alone, and it still isnt that fast. Im sick of dumping money into this small block and not feeling any difference :(. I have my mind set on putting in a 427-428. I would think about a 460, but arent there clearence issues? I want the ability to have 500+ hp with mostly bolt-ons. Either that or im sellin the mustang and gettin a road runner ::. Sorry, had to vent.

G

·
0 Posts
well, you've got to remember, that once you get used to the power, it'll start to feel like the slowest piece of crap. I went from a '76 mercury monarch with about 150 horse, to my 302 that is pushing 320hp at the flywheel. At first it felt REALLY quick, nice and snappy to me, because obviously there was a big difference in power. Now, it just feels slow to me. I mean, i know it's a quick car, but...it just doesnt seem like it.

but personally, there's nothing that impresses me more than a small block built to the teeth.

of course, It's just too easy to get gobs of power from a big block, and if that's what you want, go for it. AFAIK, a 460 will drop right into a '69...i remember someone here on VMF has a 460 in their 69, perhaps they will comment.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I notice you have 3:00 gears. Move them up to a 3:73 or a 3:90 and you'll see a difference. Or , if your motor likes to really wind up, get something in the 4:11 to 4:56 range.

You might also look at the stroker kits for the 351w. It's pretty easy to get 400 cubes out of it.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Of course the road Runner, since it will weigh about 400 more pounds than your Mach I will NEED a big block to move it.
Purhaps you have tuning issues. My 66 GT isn't as fast as I want but I'm the guy that chose to put a 600 cfm carb on a 377 cu. engine. I could put on a 750, but it wouldn't be as smooth to drive. There is give and take in every thing.

What about your exhaust? Duals? Good Mufflers? Headers? What kind of heads did you use?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
you have got to get better gears in the car. 3.00 gears will suck pretty much no matter what you do to the engine. To really make the engine work to its potential you need to take a rounded approach to your performance improvements, which include the rearend.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i argree gears will make a BIG difference!!...if you decide to with a big block..a 429/460 will have more clearence for spark plugs and such than a 390/427/428.... ever tried to change plugs in a FE big block mustang? lol.. i use to have to take my valve covers off my old 69fastback to chnge them or jack up the motor . jace

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
First of all, I agree that gears make a big difference. The 3.89's in my car definitely make it seem faster than it is.

Guys make all sorts of power with 351W's so I can't believe you'd be disappointed. I noticed in your bio:

351w, 1.6 TFS roller rockers, Edelbrock alum. heads, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 850, .528 mechanical flat tappet cam.
850 sounds like a lot of carb for a little ol' Windsor, but I don't know a whole lot about these things. I'm also curious what cam/lifter setup you went with.

I've heard great things about the Edelbrock heads, and the Performer RPM intake, but I also know that most of the high-tech heads have to be fed properly (cam/intake/carb) otherwise you're not getting much out of them - or you might have a cam that is setup for a higher RPM range (hence the gear issue, with 3.00's you'd be at a lower RPM where you may not be seeing what the engine is capable of). I can really this as an issue with an auto and all... but, I'm no expert - these are more talking points than anything else.

One final note: A Roadrunner? Great cars, but Mopars are even more expensive to wrench on than Fords.

-bob

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hang in there Mat! may be you just have some mis matched parts? I have a 429 that displacing 477 cid ill make you a deal on! FastE

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my exhaust is a set of hooker comp. headers, to 2 1/2" flowmasters out the back. The cam/lifters are comp cams solid flat tappet lifters, the cam is .528 lift and 282 duration. A 460 might just work for me if its easier to fit in there than an FE... ::

·
Registered
466 Posts
what kind of numbers are you looking for? for 3500-4000 you could have a 393-408 stroker making some pretty good HP numbers, pretty close and probably right at the 500HP you are looking at. and thats with AFR heads, which are better then your edel heads you got on there now. but i know you already got the money put into the engine. but i saw put in small gears and itll solve a lot of probs for you.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
carb it down, maybe a 750, or even something as small as a 650, that would give you some more low end grunt i should think. and with that cam/intake/heads your car wants to breathe much quicker than those crummy 3.00 gears will EVER ALLOW it to.switch to something alot deeper like a 3.73. i think youl see MAJOR improvements in how well the car performs. with the gears you have right now your really leaving alot of accleration on the table...ask me how i know, i went from 2.79 to 3.55, and the car feels like a diff car, it hammers pretty good now bc its such a light vehicle. maybe even think about a mild stall for some more acceleration, like in the 2200-2400 range, that will help to get you into the power band quicker. i think your car suffers from some mismatched parts. there is alot left in your 351..

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
PS- that boat of a roadrunner isnt going to be much faster than your built 351 if AT ALL, not to mention those MOPAR parts are going to break your bank....im not a real fan of those old boats myself, i like something much smaller and more agile in the twistys. my dads friend bought a REALLY nice 71 camaro a few weeks ago, and it had a big block under the hood, and he was raving about how fast it was, and i took a ride in it.. fast, yeah , but it PLUNGED the corners , taking a corner at around 30 MPH caused the tires to sound as if they wanted to give out...when i got out of the car, the one thing that stuck out in my mind was, this car cant handle or drive for [censored], not how well it accelerated.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts