Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to Sacbill's house tonight (along with VMFer Sac69) to help rip his engine apart and install his new Performer cam. As I go to pop off the cam timing gear, the whole cam starts to come out with it. I look between the gear and the block and lo and behold, there's no thrust plate!

Needless to say we didn't get finished with no thrust plate and no where to get one at 10:00 at night.

I think we may have a new all time high, though, for the doofus PO award. Maybe the car was in Atlanta at some point in it's life and the infamous Dewayne worked on it.

I now have this picture in my head of some stupid a$$ed mechanic getting the engine all buttoned back up and looking at the thrust plate and bolts and saying, "huh, ... I wonder where this goes? Oh, well, must not be important" *LOL*

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Jeez, what did the old lifters look like? There may be some metal in the pan. . .

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifWhoooo-ha![/laugh]

I look between the gear and the block and lo and behold, there's no thrust plate! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Needless to say we didn't get finished with no thrust plate and no where to get one at 10:00 at night.

John, That was your cue to start drinking HEAVILY/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Maybe the PO was a racer and he removed the thrust plate for his vehicles weight reduction program. Of course, the largest benefit from that program was when he had the FULL lobotomy/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
BEEN THERE,, I bought a cobra jet engine once that was supposed to be freshened up,, I installed the motor and it sounded like a solid lifter engine which it should not have been ,, when I tore into it the previous owner/rebuilder didn't know the OEM cam to sprocket spacer was two parts and the replacement was intergrall hense it shoved the cam back in the block the thickness of the extra spacer,, it ruined the cam and the lifter not to mention running shavings throught the entire oil system,,The real trick was trying to remove the lifters that where kinda mushroomed and boogered up on the inside the block ARGH ,

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Yep!

Rebuilt by a Chevy guy.... (Chevy's have no thrust plate). Another tip-off of no Ford experience is when someone tries to install the thrust bearing in the rear main journal.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
That's amazing, I've seen this twice before. I'll bet it was some chevy guy that rebuilt the engine as they don't use anything but the thrust/rotation against the distributor to hold the cam in. That's why they sell those "thrust buttons" for the chevys.

You might be OK. The 2 that I've seen had been running both for quite a while and using the back end of the cam up against the soft plug and distributor to capture the thrust. Though I sure as heck wouldn't reccomend it they actualy had no other problems. A new cam, lifters, and timing chain, and of course the thrust plate and you should be fine. There is no funny oil leaks at the bellhousing end of the engine right?............ *G*.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts