Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah well today I was putting the plugs in the car....with edelbrock rpm heads. I always go finger tight then approx 1/2 turn or so. Well I remember a while back my buddy wrenching on the plugs putting them in before I coukld say something......well now yea the one plug is stripped....just as it starts to tighten it goes loose.....now what??? I dunno if I can helicoil this sucker with the head still on the block or what Im gonna do. I might just have to pull the head and defect it and get another one....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wow-1/2 turn. I have the same heads and I don't use anywhere near 1/2 turn---just snug. Yes, you can heli-coil them on the block. Yes, there is risk involved. PM me if you want a description as to how I did it. Regards. John--Las Vegas.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
For my personal piece of mind I would not heli-coil the head while on the engine. Too much risk. One small piece of metal in the bore will make you wish you had removed the head as you tear down for the engine rebuild that follows.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the head is getting pulled today... I dont want to risk getting shavings inside the bore. Im gonna see about swapping it out at work.....I spend enough money in there they should defective exchange it for me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts