Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys and girls, I'm seriously thinking of retiring the Shelby from track duty. I originally planned on having a track car up and running by now having run the Shelby on the track for nearly three years now.

Reasons? Well, the Shelby is a great car all the way 'round. It has NO RUST, all original sheet metal, and is just plain a solid old Shelby with nearly all the original parts still in my possession. To bend a fender or quarter panel in tire-wall or whatever would be a real bitch for me to swallow. Granted, the car's value wouldn't be drastically changed if I replaced a fender or fixed a quarter panel, but they're only original once.

So, the Shelby's racing days may be at and end. Let the bashing and emasculation jokes begin!

-bob

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I can see it being retired from the track, but would it then become a garage queen? How much driving around would you do with it otherwise? Would you take it to cruise-ins on a regular basis? Drive it to work? A lot depends upon your anticipated usage, but I'd hate it to be put away in the garage and only taken out 2-3 times a year, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
*****. ;)

I've always thought guys like you and Charlie are nuckin' futz for running your Shelbys the way you do anyway. But if you're going to retire 2131, you best pull the trigger on a mule soon. 'Cause I don't want to listen to the whinney-little bitch you're going to become when vintage-track-whore withdrawl sets in...Viper or no Viper. ::

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Gee, its one of the things I admire about people like you that own cars like that. No trailer wussy queen here! No siree! Besides who cares about value? You aren't gonna sell it are you?? Yes, you are only original once... and you are only alive once as well. No one will give a crap what you did with the car once you're dead and you won't be around to hear it anyways..

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
If you're not gonna race it then I think you should sell it to one of us that will. Hell it's only a car right :winkgrin:

Course that someone is definitely not me, My pockets aren't THAT deep!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
:track: :track: :track: :track: Woooohooooo! :lol:

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Cant say as I blame you Bob. I would be a shame to bend it. Sending you a PM.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Losing your nads, no. Realizing the value of your car and protecting the investment yes. I don't blame you at all. I think you just need to get some track tires for the Viper or find yourself a coupe to flog.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.webdelsol.com/The_Potomac/issue2/crybaby.jpg

OOOOOOUUUUUUUUCCHHHHH!!!!! Charlie hits hard and fast!

-bob

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hey!

I'm just in agreement with Bbenthin!

:biggrin:

BTW... Viper does not = FORD which does equal TRACK TIME at HALLET!

(I guess you'll have to ride with me this year?)

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to run at Hallett one way or the other... there's no way I can miss a chance to drive that track...

Ride with you? My ass. :D

-bob

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Oh Bob....I'll keep it for you...wash it, and dry it, and wax it.... and drive it like I stole it!!!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Well not trying to suck up here...but you have had the nads to race it so far. That took alot.
Maybe it is just old age;)
I still think you need to race the car. Give it hell.
For what it is worth I met a owner of a 427s/c cobra...he drives the hell out of this car. Why? He says because letting it sit will ruin it. So put the flame out or pour more gas on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would have to agree with Midlife, as long as your not going to turn it into a trailer queen. You obviously enjoy driving it so why stop? You could pick up another car to flog at the track and keep the Shelby for cruising and shows.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Been thinking about this since I first read your post. You have at least 3 options.

Put the car away and go without the "SEX" until you get the mule. :lol:

Force yourself to drive in only group 4, thus limiting the possibility of too many off road excursions and still keeping your hand in it. (or foot as it may be)

Break down and just buy a decent 68 4 speed coupe from the west/south west. Force the Cali people to find you one or ban all west coast ISP's :: You have the motor, tranny, and tires, I bet I know a couple people who would even help you swap them out. :horror: (and give you crap along the way too) Get some good disc's, coolant ducts, subframes, export brace and you can still have fun by June. Then make it "more" dedicated as you get the chance.

:track: wuss :track:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I don't think it's your nads shrinking --- Just your brain growing! :paranoid:

Time to build a mule. Most of your goodies will transfer, and you can build something fast & fun without worrying about wrinkling sheetmetal (or drilling holes!). :winkgrin:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Gotta give it to you that you have had 'nads' up until this point, but logic is taking over. As others have said, probably a good time to get a mule but that is going to be your decision. How much can you live with the fact that you may put the Shelby into a tire wall or some other damage due to racing? Only you can decide how much it is worth to you. Two sides are - Logic & Emotions, good luck with the decision.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts