Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was picking up my weeks allotment of eggs and noticed something new. The store now has eggs produced by vegetarian fed chickens. The egg box says 25 percent less saturated fats than regular chicken eggs. I bought some. I am curious if they taste the same or not and any less saturated fats for me is probably a good thing.

I have to wonder what sort of feed the regular chickens are getting if it has some sort of animal in it. I hesitate to consider that it might be chopped up dead chickens but considering the mad cow/chronic wasting thing, who knows. It probably isn't crickets or meal worms.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I was picking up my weeks allotment of eggs and noticed something new. The store now has eggs produced by vegetarian fed chickens. The egg box says 25 percent less saturated fats than regular chicken eggs. I bought some. I am curious if they taste the same or not and any less saturated fats for me is probably a good thing.

I have to wonder what sort of feed the regular chickens are getting if it has some sort of animal in it. I hesitate to consider that it might be chopped up dead chickens but considering the mad cow/chronic wasting thing, who knows. It probably isn't crickets or meal worms.
I hope you didn't pay more for the vegetarian eggs.... commercial chicken feed is little more than cereal grains.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,400 Posts
Might be “less-something, but not natural. Chickens are omnivores.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Chickens will eat their own eggs. Chickens will eat a dead chicken under the right circumstances. They like bugs. I don't think bugs are vegetables also don't know if bugs count against vegetarian eggs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thinking about this a little more... calcium I believe is really important in a chickens diet to form eggs. (I don't have chickens. Looked into it but the HOA vetoed chickens) I wonder what they use as a calcium supplement when needed.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The chicken farmers normally grind up the hoodlum leftest chickens to keep the uprisings in check. The vegetarian chickens are raised in CHAZ/CHOP and we know they don’t have internal squabbles.

Mark
What are you smoking? Err, never mind.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Thinking about this a little more... calcium I believe is really important in a chickens diet to form eggs. (I don't have chickens. Looked into it but the HOA vetoed chickens) I wonder what they use as a calcium supplement when needed.
They use egg shells. Being that some scientists believe chickens descended from dinosaurs, they are very much omnivores. They can and do eat meat (yes bugs are considered meat). They can and will eff up small animals, mice, snakes etc...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,366 Posts
One very common calcium supplement is ground oyster shells. I've no idea if they would count against being vegetarian.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The chicken farmers normally grind up the hoodlum leftest chickens to keep the uprisings in check. The vegetarian chickens are raised in CHAZ/CHOP and we know they don’t have internal squabbles.

Mark
You are correct on the CHAZ/CHOP ! it`s all rainbows and unicorns there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My sister has a handful of chickens. Not sure what she feeds them, but I'm sure it's nothing fancy. I usually get a dozen eggs when I visit. MUCH better than the store-bought eggs.
I always figured it would be great to have a few. Some of them have funny personalities, They provide breakfast everyday. They provide dinner once. HOA has rules against fowl as pets. Too many coyotes around here anyway. They probably would not last long.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,366 Posts
We have a sales lady that comes around selling eggs at work once a week or so. Small farm type eggs. I don't know exactly what they feed them but they are sort of "organically" oriented people. Or try to be. The eggs are quite good for whatever reason. Wife says to stop buying them, we don't really eat a lot of eggs and have about four dozen in the fridge. I can't help it, saleswoman is all giggly and has great smile that gets me every time. Proudly proclaimed to me last week that in return for caring for the chickens she was allowed to keep the whole nine dollars she had made selling eggs last week. Also apologized for the eggs still being a bit wet because she had had to "wash the poopies off". She's six years old and every one of you would buy too many eggs from her too.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I buy them every time I see farm fresh eggs for sale. I have 3 eggs and 3 bacon every day for breakfast.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Growing up all most everyone we knew had chickens & usually a pig not for pets but food. Funny how times change my younger brother still lives at the old home place it used to be way off in the sticks but now the suburbs have came calling with the $1/2 million + homes. Ok back to the chickens yes if most people were to go to a facility that raises chickens they probably would swear off eggs& chicken in any form. Although it dose'nt really bother me because as a kid when grandmother told me to catch that chicken and kill it that what I did. Have to say those free range eggs& fried chicken tasted a lot better than the ready to process in about 4 weeks chicken of today. Could be just me though

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Well it's too bad none of y'alls lived closed to me because you could come by and grab some beautiful brown butt nuggets to your heart's desire. Our girls are getting pretty old but they are laying alot right now. The earlier comment was correct too--they all have their own personalities. It's fun to watch them walking around outside because they look so content, but they have wised up to the death from above, the damn hawks which have killed a lot of them.

Chickens needs a source of scratch in their diet, which can be fine pebble grindings, it's what helps the gizzard grind up corn and other things they eat as part of the digestive cycle. Oh by the way, I love fried gizzards.

Ours also get oyster shells for calcium supplement.

Feed is mostly made of up of cereal grains and some animal by-product. Our ladies get a layer feed. Protein is important since the whites are protein heavy.

Some random facts about chickens/eggs that are maybe interesting or helpful to some...

1. As long as you don't wash the eggs when they're collected, they can be stored on the counter at room temp. Washing them otherwise removes a biofilm that protects against bacteria and spoilage.
  2. A hen is born with all the eggs she's ever going to produce on her follicles
  3. Chickens only have a single sexual and digestive organ/part, called a vent or a cloaca. The rooster's semen comes out of his vent and into the hen's.
  4. Obviously you don't need a rooster around for a hen to lay eggs. Only to lay fertilized eggs.
  5. Chickens (and all birds) don't have urine or feces, it's just a single solid substance that is high in uric acid.
  6. We choose breeds with smaller combs as they're less susceptible to frost bite in the winter.
  7. If you want green or blue eggs, Americana or Araucana is the breed you want!
  8. The yolk of the egg is very rich in cholesterol while the whites are almost exclusively protein. If you can't have cholesterol, discard the yolk and just eat the white. But the most recent research says dietary cholesterol is only a minor contributor to high cholesterol in people.
  9. BONUS TRIVIA!--Which part of the egg comes out first? The round blunt end or the smaller pointed end?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
...and eggs can be up to 60 or is it 90 days old and still be called Fresh after that they become "storage" eggs then later "institutional" and can be edible up to 1 year. (might be out-dated information)
Had some family in AR that did all phases of poultry production before it all became corporate owned. They said even back in the '70 they were making chickens too fat and too white and they have nearly doubled in size since then so we can get yuuge wings.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cooked my vegetarian eggs this morning and they are good. They do taste a bit milder than regular eggs and maybe it was just an impression but they seem to be a bit less oily too. I think the less saturated fats is enough for me to justify staying with them.

Nope, I actually paid less for the veggie chicken eggs. My breakfast varies from fried eggs with a bagel or scrambled with toast, 1 egg mix for gluten free pancakes, french toast with some berries and I'm working on an omelette recipe. I have replaced syrup with a modest amount of honey on toast, french toast and pancakes. I still will add my 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter to my pancakes and I add cinnamon and chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans to the batter. They are delicious or at least to me anyway. I have my morning coffee and a juice glass portion of cranberry or orange juice. No meat. I would like to have some vegetarian sausage but it is generally crammed full of sodium and soy based and I can't handle soy. The excessive amount of sodium is extremely bad for my kidneys too.

From what I have been able to read, 1 or 2 eggs every morning should be fine if you also cut back or eliminate the butter, processed meats and cook them in a healthy oil. The heart association says even 6 eggs a week is ok for people with heart disease if they are taking care in the rest of their diet with saturated fats.

In the absence of dietary cholestrol, the liver production of cholesterol goes up to maintain the correct level the body should need. If you are consuming cholesterol in your diet, liver production goes down. It isn't the same though. Eggs have aminos, omega 3's, and "carotenoids, vitamin D, B12, selenium and choline". They aren't just cholesterol. In fact, moderate consumption of eggs, depending how you cook them, increases HDL and particularly these veggie eggs because they have reduced levels of saturated fats.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Chickens will eat anything. When I lived in Puerto Rico, my PR neighbors kept chickens under their house. A lot of the houses there are built with a 4 to 5 foot crawl space underneath. They wired it in the keep the chickens in. I asked my neighbor about it and he said that the chickens kept the rats and mice away. Every once and awhile I would hear a lot of noise coming from the chickens and when I looked, they were killing a rat. This was in a middle class neighborhood and very close to the ocean. One time I was eating a piece of fried chicken, and they were all looking at me like a bunch of hungry dogs, so I threw the chicken bone to them and they ate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts