Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I have to share this story on this thread. My wife is a city girl through and through. Myself, I grew up on a small dairy farm. I told her a couple years ago I wanted chickens, her response was "Heck no, they'll peck your arms off." I stared at her for a moment to judge how serious she was, when I realized she was dead serious I lost it. I was crying from laughing so hard, which, as you can imagine, aggravated her a bit. I finally asked her how many one arm chicken farmers she knew, and just how big would a chicken have to be to peck a person's arm off. Its a running joke now.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
lol...."Grain Fed", "Organic", "Free Range" and now "Vegetarian". Same chickens, just how they are fed.
Local free range chickens lay good eggs, but don't last long: too many coyotes, foxes and coons.
Amish neighbor was doing organic, feeding them more expensive feed made of grain never touched by artificial fertilizer. Then market changed and now he uses regular feed, buys several tons a month: cheaper but so is the price he gets for the eggs.
Wish @Lizer was closer, I would take some of those eggs. My main Amish supplier changed out his chickens and they haven't started laying too much yet, those pale yoked eggs from Kroger are a let down.
Believe me, unless you really have a closed laying barn, those chickens will get some non vegetable protein, any critter smaller than them that flies, crawls or slithers in the hen house is a potential meal.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The only reason I would even get chickens is so they can convert my trash into eggs.

I think it's funny how surprised some people are that chickens eat chicken. I just tell them, "well, cannibalism doesn't change them like it does us," with a crazy look in my eye.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts