Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I do feel pleased that I just completed 1366 miles in less than three days driving my standard 66 auto 2V 289 convertible with ps (but NO power brakes!) all the way from the UK down to Spain's Costa Blanca on the Mediterranean coast.
This was probably one of the most fun things I have ever done in my 53 years, and my car behaved perfectly all through freeways, mountain roads and trafffic jams.
18mpg and about a pint of oil. BTW the weather was perfect, the second day I did over 600 miles with the roof down. Bliss! Had to share this! ::

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It sounds like a wonderful trip, Jeremy. It's good to hear that even in Europe, people are using these cars for what they were intended - driving.

So next summer, will it be the Shelby that does the road trip?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow, That's really cool. Did you take the Channel Tunnel or a ferry across to the 'mainland?' Either way, I am sure you caused quite a few double takes.

Glenn

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast. Being one of the few VMF'ers to actually have ridden in your convertible, I can say that it drives as well as it looks, great job!

K

·
0 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a great trip. Even my SWMBO would drive that far if it involved driving through France.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it in one - except that I am hoping the road trip will be the Great Pony Drive II in the Spring of 2004. Definitely with the Shelby!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charles - you are the ONLY VMF-er to have ridden in the 66 convertible! It's now going better than ever. Maybe see you in 2004?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Channel Tunnel. And we got pride of place, i.e. first on, first off. Did we turn heads? you betcha! But... oh ye of little faith: as I waited for the train to stop and open the doors to fire up the engine, an overwhelming sense of dread got me: what if the engine doesn't start? Of course it did. I apologised to the car later on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts