Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i just installed my rebuild 289´ with new Edelbrock E-street heads in my 65 mustang.
I have some unbelievable header issues, and I would really appreciate yours opinion on whats going on..
The headers are the Scott drake Tri-ys that I heard a lot of people was happy with.
But here is my problem: I was barely able to mount the headers, and it was only made possible by the engine hoist still connected so the engine was free to move (motor mounts not loosened), but after cutting away the "ear" from the bell housing (C4 1978) because the drivers side heaer never would be able to sit up against the head without removing it. I noticed that when i realise the engine hoise and the engine sits down in the mounts, the headers are not clearing the shock tower AT ALL !-

Also, as seen in the picture, drivers side headers comes out in weird angle so its impossible to mount exhaust..?
So, before blaming the headers itself, what could be wrong here??
Only idea i have, is that the 65 makes the engine sit weird, but others say is a myth but i did noticed that passenger side motor mount bracket had an enlarged hole, which made the engine side slighty to the one side. But even with some washers in the engine mounts, i absolutly cannot see how they would ever clear the shock-towers !!. And a single piece shock tower brace fits so the shock towers are not tilted..

I am so frustad, ANY help is appreciate it!!

Attachments

·
Spammer Hammer
9,404 Posts
Well today’s Tei-Y’s are a HUGE hit or miss. Attach the engine mount bolts to the engine. Loosen the engine mount but to the frame. You should be able to center the engine in the mounts and tighten.

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
Well today’s Tei-Y’s are a HUGE hit or miss.
Any cheap header will be hit or miss. Headers are one of those things where quality costs money.
The OP may need to get the engine settled in place and then mark the spots on the headers that interfere with the shock towers, remove them and ding them with a ball pien hammer. As to lining up the collectors to the exhaust pipe- it's time to cut and weld.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is not atypical with 65-66 mustangs. I would suggest you play with the motor mounts. You can use spacers under the mounts (washers) to raise the engine which may give more clearance at the shock tower. Also, you may want to look at installing a monte carlo bar as it may spread the towers.

As far as the headers meeting the exhaust: That is the way it is with custom exhaust. I would suggest taking it to an exhaust shop if you can't weld. It will take some welding with pipe to get it to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts