Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohmygosh....six years and $20k later, I’m finally realizing I can’t fit in my just-finished 70 mach. It’s my left leg’s fault. Too long I guess. To shift (darn those fat deluxe, door panels), I have to depress the clutch at a very uncomfortable angle—just to keep my knee from hitting the turn-signal lever. And that rim-blow wheel is so BIG! It’s a wonder I can squeeze in the car in the first place. Ok, ok...I’m no jaws, lurch, or even kobie bryant, but I’m 6’4” (more like judge reinhold). The bottom line is I think I made a huge mistake going with a ‘70.

Now why didn’t I think of this so many years ago, I’ll never know. Maybe becasue from day one she was completely undrivable, and although I had never been in a ‘70 before, it was the right car at the right price. Now I’ve had three ‘71s over the years - my favorite body style - and I’ve fit in them perfectly. BUT, they’ve all been automatics.

So, I’ve got a decision to make. Either figure out how to fit in my beloved ‘70 (while keeping it as original as possible - i.e. no grant wheels. Would a tilt column might make the difference?) - or, sell the ‘70 and buy my dream, a ‘71 boss - a 4-speeded car I THINK I can fit in. Is there much difference between the ‘0s and ‘1-2s as far as m/t room? Thanks.

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Oh, my you need the new issue of Mustang Monthly, and you need it bad! LOL

They show how to convert to a tilt wheel in order to make access easier for us tall guys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Personally, I think it would help a lot! My legs are also big and I can see how you have a problem. If all else fails you could go to a vert or lower your seat with some custom fab work. Now, STOP GROWING! BTW, MM tested their tilt with a 6'4" Marine. Sounds like you fit the bill...

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i own a 73 ragtop and my buddy has a 70 fastback
there is more legroom in the 73 and even he prefers my car for a road trip

SEAN

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
My first Stang a few years ago was a 71. Although I loved that car, I didn't fit real comfortably. All the symptoms of the 70 you describe. My 66 is a much better fit for me. Interesting, because the 66 is a much smaller body, yet I seem to have considerably more leg room, head room, pedal space etc. Before you seriously consider a 71 4-speed, you might want to spend a little time behind the wheel of one. Of course, with the snort of a Boss 351 under the hood, minor annoyances like comfort might become insignificant!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at [url]www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com[/url]

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Dan, didn't know if you new it or not but when you clicl on your web address on you signature, it brings up your email adress not you website.

J. Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I was replacing the doorpanel on my 68...I realized the door was 100 percent more comfy without the padded pullhandle on. I have the pull handle still... but the clutch is easier to work with it off.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'm surprised nobody else pointed that out before now! Work better now?

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66CoupeNW on 03/12/01 12:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trade ya,
my 71Mach for your 70Mach.
c

chris
68 coupe
69 vert
71 M1
What am I doing with these antiques anyways?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
The mechanic I go to had a Cobra kit car in the other day and he let me sit in it. This damn thing was a 427 side oiler with an automatic transmission. The tunnel was so wide that you had to sit sort of sideways and bend your leg funny to put your foot on the accelerator.

Pretty to look at though.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Thats the way the originals were also. The only "kit" I know of that solves this problem is Superformance.

The poster formerly known as JAV65

That's me on the left...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43026383.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, nice try Chris. But I don't think I can settle for a lowly 71 Mach! Ok, ok. I’m only joking. You have a great looking car. And now that I’ve thought about it, yes, I must admit I fit more comfortably in my 68 HT - that car has standard interior and no door panel interference. But it has no 4V Cleveland.... As far as redrilling and moving the seat (or refabricating the seat mounts) as far back as I can stand, that might be a last resort. Of course, I’ll end up looking like one of those guys driving whilst sitting in the backseat of a early ‘90s GM sedan. 66CoupeNW, you threw the only wrench in my pie! You really fit better in the ‘66 than the ‘71? Two questions, how tall are you and did the 71 have a M/T (ok, three) and deluxe interior? And thanks for the tip. I do have the new MM, and did read the tilt-conversion article. That is an option, but if I fork over the bucks for the 70-specific tilt column, I might have to adjust the rim-blow so high it will feel like I'm driving a bluebird bus.... I think that part of the problem is the 69/70s were the first of the mustangs with the 'contoured-to-fit-ya' seats - and the entire setup is a bit tight.

For starters, what do you think about me shortening my turn signal lever - cut it and rethread it. You know, make it about three inches long. I know that would help (I’d probably keep the regular one close at hand, and pop the little one in for driving and when a critic approached). BTW, I really appreciated and enjoyed reading everyones' input. Thanks!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Yes, I really do fit much better in the 66. I'm 6'2". My 71 was automatic, standard interior. The noticable differences were more leg room and head room in the 66. Also, my kids HATED riding in the 71 because they couldn't see over the dash. No problem in the 66.

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew there would be one advantage for being short. I can tell SWMBO that I must have a 70 stang for the next project.

Tim Russell
Sale, Victoria, Australia

67 Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I second Bishir's advice to get a copy of April's Mustang Monthly. They have an article on swapping to the tilt wheel for a 70 Mach. The guy is 6' 4". Sound vaguely familiar?

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

1 - 15 of 15 Posts