Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have not read my last post my ca was running super rich and now some new things and come around. On Sunday night I changed my jets to 64 from a 66 and not much change happen at that moment. but on Tuesday morning I went to start the car and flooded almost instantly. so I got a video of what was happening and it was just spraying gas everywhere. I lowered my float but have not changed my needle valve. with in doing so it stopped doing what is in the video but tons of unburden gas is comming out of the tailpipes and hase kid of the same sound that a really badly tuned engine sounds like. Do I need to do so. or what do you think is happening?

·
Registered
34,148 Posts
The needle and seat assembly can be removed without removing the bowl. You'll be able to see if there is a foreign substance stuck there or damage to the needle or seat. The float can only be examined by removing the bowl. If the float is "sunk" it can be replaced or, if brass, drained and the hole soldered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulled the needle and before there was a black looking substance on the top of it but gave it a few shots of carb cleaner and I hope it works better. I have pulled off the float bowl 3 times today tiring to figure this out I will look to see if there is a hole in it tomorrow.
thank you for the help.

·
Registered
34,148 Posts
pulled the needle and before there was a black looking substance on the top of it but gave it a few shots of carb cleaner and I hope it works better. I have pulled off the float bowl 3 times today tiring to figure this out I will look to see if there is a hole in it tomorrow.
thank you for the help.
The needle DOES have a black Viton or Neoprene tip.

·
Registered
555 Posts
thank you for the help.
Confused about where your at Clarence.

The video attached to the original post showed the gas flowing out of the vent tube. However in your post you mentioned that you resolved that by lowering the float. Is that correct? or, is gas continuing to stream from the vent tube?

Then in the post you state that you have unburned gas coming out of the tail pipes? Liquid? or it just smells really rich?

·
Registered
34,237 Posts
Unburned fuel out the tailpipe? I don't believe it. Burning exhaust gasses would detonate such fuel, blowing the mufflers off the car. I have seen that.

I'd bet the liquid you see is water. Water is a normal by-product of combustion, and does not vaporize when travelling through a cold exhaust system. Naturally, inside a sooty exhaust system, it'll come out dirty, and smelly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so new development. Turns out when I go the cat from mustangone they never set the float on the carb. * witch they probably to of another car and sold to me as new.* so it was dumping gas out of the secondarys even at idal. Thank you all for the help

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Clarence, Sounds like you're getting it sorted out. If you don't already have it, there is a pretty good little book on carbs called "Holley Carburetor Handbook 4150 & 4160". There are other thicker books with more pretty pictures but the little red book is the one I've always reached for first. The information in it can be applied to a lot of their products not just those model numbers

Looks like the price has gone up. I checked Amazon and they want almost $15 for it. Price sticker on my copy says 4.95. I guess I've had it awhile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Clarence, Sounds like you're getting it sorted out. If you don't already have it, there is a pretty good little book on carbs called "Holley Carburetor Handbook 4150 & 4160". There are other thicker books with more pretty pictures but the little red book is the one I've always reached for first. The information in it can be applied to a lot of their products not just those model numbers

Looks like the price has gone up. I checked Amazon and they want almost $15 for it. Price sticker on my copy says 4.95. I guess I've had it awhile.
Ok I will look in to it thank you for that info.

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
not sure what carb the OP is running..... but FYI, the float setting recommended by Holley for the 4150 series carbs is way to high. This generic setting may protect them from liability issues by keeping people from running the engine too lean. But in our vintage Fords the result is an engine that is running too rich across the entire rpm and load range. Unless a person is running a drag car, and thereby needing extreme fuel flow, you will benefit from lowering the float level 3 -4 flats of the adjusting nut, if not more.

Z.

·
Registered
555 Posts
not sure what carb the OP is running..... but FYI, the float setting recommended by Holley for the 4150 series carbs is way to high. This generic setting may protect them from liability issues by keeping people from running the engine too lean. But in our vintage Fords the result is an engine that is running too rich across the entire rpm and load range. Unless a person is running a drag car, and thereby needing extreme fuel flow, you will benefit from lowering the float level 3 -4 flats of the adjusting nut, if not more.

Z.
Based on the pictures in another thread, it looks like a 4160 with electric choke and side hung floats.

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
I believe the 4160’s use the same adjusting nut / lock screw arrangement as the 4150’s. someone chime in if I’m back-asswards on that...

And in my view they also run way too rich using the factory float setting

Z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts