Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car for about a month now so it's now time to start doing what needs done.

The car is pretty to look at but needs some mechanical attention.

First up, power disc breaks.

Shot of the single master. Yikes the fluid was brown!
My dog was surprised that the car had manual drums
My lovely wife and fellow classic mustang fan
All done at the wheels.
On to the booster and master tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Very nice! Disc brakes are one of the best things I have ever done to my car. Super to see your other half helping out, too. My wife wants nothing whatsoever to do with my dirty habits. And make sure to get the approval of the extra hairy Supervisor!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was tried of brake stuff today so did some odds and ends including this Grant 963 with GT Performance install kit and horn button. The original deluxe was a bit tired and I needed more room.

I think it looks ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks great! The new disc setup is all nice and shiny. You’re going to love how they work. And digging the new steering wheel. It’s great how your best buddy get in there with you, and your wife helps too!! Haha!!>:)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yeah, I have to do the rear springs on my '65 myself... Looking forward to cutting off the old Original ones....

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
My Dad and I broke loose the bolts on mine in 1993.
One more reason not to ever sell the Mustang.
Thanks, Dad. I love you.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Curious, How many blades did you go through for the one stubborn side?? I need to know how many extra to buy when I do my '65...lol...

Being serious here...lol...

Thank God for the Reciprocating saw (SAWZALL)..!!!

Tony K.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Curious, How many blades did you go through for the one stubborn side?? I need to know how many extra to buy when I do my '65...lol...

Being serious here...lol...

Thank God for the Reciprocating saw (SAWZALL)..!!!

Tony K.
I bent one blade up pretty good. The tip kept hitting the floor pan (or whatever is in front of the leaf spring).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the suspension done for now, it was time for a cooling upgrade. Cruising was ok but traffic or idling caused it to heat up fast.

When I bought the car it had a really old copper 3 core, a flex fan and no shroud.

Lots of options but decided to keep it basic.

2 core aluminum rad, 6 blade clutch fan, new hoses, coolant filter and an OEM style shroud. I might put in a pusher electric fan if I need it once the A/C is up and running again.

Basic stuff but hopefully it'll stay cool now.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last night I installed an export brace and Monte Carlo bar, well almost...

My towers were too close together so the install was tough but in the end I got the export brace and MC bar bolted down to the towers.

The holes for the cowl bolts line up pretty well left to right but are a bolt hole out front to back. The brace holes are behind the cowl holes.

I plan to set stands on the rails to see if the front will sag enough to line these holes up.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Export brace and Monte Carlo bar installed.

Man these are tough to put in if your towers have sagged a bit. Hope they're worth the grief.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts