Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the under 30, pick up truck owners,.....

I’m a product of the late 70’s, early 80’s. Our cars and even trucks were modded to reflect race cars of the era.

We had headers, glass packs, 15’s with lots of rubber, 70’s, 60’s and 50’s, traction bars and air shocks or shackles for a Nice rake.

Like drag cars of the day, the rear end was raised and stuffed with a fat tire, even if you had a six. The Look was important.

So my question to the under 30, young, cool pick up owners is this:

Explain to me the “Cool”, look of having a truck with a backwards rake, where the rear end is lower than the front.

I call it the Farm Truck, where it looks as if you’re hauling a bed of cement or rocks,......why is this popular?

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
695 Posts
It’s called a Carolina squat and it’s the stupidest thing ever I drive a new Silverado 2500 and just have it leveled with rims and tires.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Don't pick on youngsters by trying to make them explain stuff. "Its cool" has lost all meaning.

I think it actually has a use in the "pre-runner" sand and beaches.
I thought it was from when their air bags leaked and they couldn't fix it. Ive even seen/heard a few with the pump running constantly but doing nothing.
...and this whole deal of crazy offset wheels, low profile tires on a jacked up truck is assinine on too many levels to list. Must be hell on wheel bearings is all I can think.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gassers served a purpose, much more than cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Just this evening I saw a Shiverlay 3500 Duallie with the ass end dragging the ground. I had no idea it was the latest style.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it is,....

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I had no idea this was a thing. Sounds like the original look of the Mustangs with squatted rear end.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
It's much worse than a case of satchel-ass. It's a chronic syndrome of geriatric sag. It looks absolutely horrible and can't be safe for handling. My sons hate it. Older boy is ready for some new GT leafs on his 66.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The ultimate truck for a man of any age.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Explain to me the “Cool”, look of having a truck with a backwards rake, where the rear end is lower than the front.
I suppose if I count as two 30 year olds I could answer...

When you’re off road the suspension travel in the front is set up in a way that rakes it toward the rear. When it‘s at speed and levels out the attitude of the vehicle is on a horizontal plane but it you look at the suspension travel and rate it’s going nuts to be able to absorb the impact. If you’re level in the static setup there’s a good chance you’ll endo at speed.

That said a good deal of those trucks don’t make it off road much, some not at all. It’s the desert racing look and has been around for quite a while. Perhaps it’s making it’s way out of the southwest. It has function it’s just not everyone uses that function. Like our drag looking cars in the 70s or the tuner car kids that look drift or race but never do.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,740 Posts
Quick question for the under 30, pick up truck owners,.....

I’m a product of the late 70’s, early 80’s. Our cars and even trucks were modded to reflect race cars of the era.

We had headers, glass packs, 15’s with lots of rubber, 70’s, 60’s and 50’s, traction bars and air shocks or shackles for a Nice rake.

Like drag cars of the day, the rear end was raised and stuffed with a fat tire, even if you had a six. The Look was important.

So my question to the under 30, young, cool pick up owners is this:

I call it the Farm Truck, where it looks as if you’re hauling a bed of cement or rocks,......why is this popular?
It's the same mentality that adds a fart can muffler to a Honda Civic and thinks it makes it a high performance race car 😂

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suppose if I count as two 30 year olds I could answer...

When you’re off road the suspension travel in the front is set up in a way that rakes it toward the rear. When it‘s at speed and levels out the attitude of the vehicle is on a horizontal plane but it you look at the suspension travel and rate it’s going nuts to be able to absorb the impact. If you’re level in the static setup there’s a good chance you’ll endo at speed.

That said a good deal of those trucks don’t make it off road much, some not at all. It’s the desert racing look and has been around for quite a while. Perhaps it’s making it’s way out of the southwest. It has function it’s just not everyone uses that function. Like our drag looking cars in the 70s or the tuner car kids that look drift or race but never do.

Could be,.....sounds reasonable.

What I’m seeing are Street trucks.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts