Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Lower the rear, it’ll look waaay cooler.

Nice truck!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You do know that the rake is there for a reason?

The payload rating for 1/2 ton trucks keeps going up.

Im in the minority and buy a truck to use as a truck.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Oh, and I get a big kick out of the CL ad that is sure to follow.

Some douche way overpaid for a 4x4, stuck a bunch of crap on it and a big set of mud tires. It sounds like a half track going down the road, has rattles everywhere, the paint is trashed from road debris and it smells like cigarette smoke and 5-hour energy drinks. The CL ad will boast how much he "invested" in the truck and he will ask some crazy 45-50k selling price, no low ballers and the price is firm.

It sucks to be him.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You do know that the rake is there for a reason?

The payload rating for 1/2 ton trucks keeps going up.

Im in the minority and buy a truck to use as a truck.
Yeah, load 630 pounds of landscape brick 100 pounds of screws, nails and joist hangers in the back and hook a trailer with couple thousand in deck building material and it will level out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Agree - rake is there for a reason and should be. I haul/tow with mine a lot and put in a different rear block to get some rake back. Will likely go to air bags when I get a boat.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
From 13 (bought a 1958 Apache to "restore" when I was 13) until I was around 32, I'd never owned a car. My 65 Mustang was the first car I'd ever owned and my 68 Firebird is still only the 2nd and I'll be 40 this winter.

I don't mind what other people do to their rides, but I will make fun of them if I think it's stupid, which the "carolina squat" is, at least to me. Sometimes a new trend comes along that's cool. This one is not. They can't all be winners.

GM trucks have a fairly decent forward rake from the factory, I kind of like it like that. It also has it's purpose as mentioned above, as it levels out during towing so you're not nose up and taking weight off your front end for steering/braking.

I bought this big girl brand new in 2015. I had to add the old man steps because I literally had to jump to get in and out of it. Other than that, just a bed cover, removed the goofy air dam under the bumper, and recently a set of 2011 Z71 wheels and BFGs. The bed cover wast the worst thing I could have ever done to my truck, at any given time there's probably 500 lbs of crap stuffed under there. There's also a set of rechromed OEM bumpers for my mustang and firebird that have been under there for at least 3 years now... until the shop is done. 😆

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I knew I had reached the "get off my lawn age" when I was looking for a new truck last year and I WANTED a long bed with a topper. :LOL:
😆

It was so hard for me to put the old man steps on. I could get in and out of my old Z71, but the new ones are just too tall. I lasted about 6 months before I realized I was going to ruin my seat bolster and steering wheel getting in and out.

Forgot I also added mud flaps. I do take my trucks off road a bit and my last one had a ton of rocker and rear quarter rock chips. A few more years and I'll go full JC Whitney on it with a matching blue topper, and running lights on everything.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
One of my friends is 23. I know that because the other day he told me, "I've been out of high school for sixty months." Which is how xennials, or whatever generation they are, express time when they live with their parents. Sixty months sounds better than five years? Anyway he recently got his dream truck. It's a 90s F250 7.3L Powerstroke. Black. Four doors. Anyway he's always talking about all the modifications he wants to do and we're always making fun of him. Like eight compressors, sixty seven gauges, all sorts of nonsense. Tonight I was laughing about the compressor thing and he said, "Mustang guys modify their cars all the time, what's the difference between you and diesel guys?" All I said was, "we have more teeth!"

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
At least he has good taste in the 7.3. The IH engine and Ford body were one of the best marriages ever. Mine has almost 300,000 miles and still runs great. The body etc doesn't squeak or rattle and maintenance is simple. Still gets 16 around town and 19 on the highway. And can still pull the house down.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
😆

It was so hard for me to put the old man steps on. I could get in and out of my old Z71, but the new ones are just too tall. I lasted about 6 months before I realized I was going to ruin my seat bolster and steering wheel getting in and out.

Forgot I also added mud flaps. I do take my trucks off road a bit and my last one had a ton of rocker and rear quarter rock chips. A few more years and I'll go full JC Whitney on it with a matching blue topper, and running lights on everything.
Just call them rocker guards, the fact that they have steps built in is irrelevant....ha ha.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I could go crazy and buy one of those $1,000 aftermarket folding set ups!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I could go crazy and buy one of those $1,000 aftermarket folding set ups!
Hey, I resemble that comment...

In all honesty, the power steps are the single best thing I've done to my truck (had them on my last 2). They make it so much easier to get in than a step that's tucked up next to the body. My wife loves them too. But yes...I get how silly they are.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
My truck has running board type steps and I like that they also protect the bottoms of my doors, as they actually close over the rockers.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My 02 Avalanche has them from the factory and they are really solid. They saved a lot of sheet metal on the Avalanche when a kid tried to make a right turn from the left lane.
I do recall back in the 70s you couldn't put your weight on some running boards. Don't know if they were aftermarket or not.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Currently driving a 2002 F150 7700 long bed with 280,000+ miles. Looking for the Jitterbug addition F150 with separate simple controls for the heat, AC, and radio. I curse like a sailor every-time I get in something 2009+ Including the wife's Flex.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I’m digging the wisk broom.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Jun 1st I bought a 2020 f150 Supercrew. Ive always owned longbeds or supercabs. this is my first full 4 door. I wanted the 6.5ft bed but Ive got a better chance of running into Elvis at an all night liquor store.

Floor mats, bug guard, bedliner, mud flaps and at some point tow mirrors, and thats all Im doing. What else could it possibly need?

The day I drove it home.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 63 Posts