Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What heat Insulation product do you guys suggest for underneath the carpet? I hesitate to use the stuff by parts suppliers that's supposed to be similar to original because the original stuff held moisture.
I've read posts about using the foil bubble wrap from Lowes but am wondering if that stuff makes noise when you move your feet around on top of it.
I really like the idea of a synthetic fiber insulation mat bonded to a foil backer. I see some stuff with a peel-n-stick adhesive on it. Has anyone used something like this and if so, what's it called and where'd you purchase it?

Just looking for recommendations. Mostly looking for heat insulation... I will probably put something like Dynamat Extreme or B-Quite down first to handle noise.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I'm going with carpet underlayment. I have not found an OEM style replacement as all the after market stuff seems to be asphalt-heavy rubber-type sheets that don't seem to be anything like the originals. Or Dynamat and other similar sticky-backed-foil-faced products.

Moisture from the air is not a big deal, to me. As the cars are garaged/weekenders that won't be sitting outside or driven in the rain. If a heater core pops I'd rather be able to remove the carpet and underlayment to make sure its dry underneath, not hope some moisture didn't somehow get between the sticky stuff and the metal... and start to rust, no way to ever get it out...

Also looked at the peel-and-sticks and decided if you ever wanted to get rid of it you would be fu.... well lets just say... it would be very, very, hard to remove...

Also, the Dynamat type products are more acoustic, based on vibration dampening, not thermal insulation (as if you look at their tech details the always mention acoustic properties, not thermal). And not many folks use a Dynamat type product to insulate the walls of their house! ;)

Good products, but not for heat barriers. Better then nothing, and I did use a sticky type barrier on the roof of my coupe so not dismissing them. But they are designed as acoustic dampeners, not thermal barriers.

2c worth...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bring up a good point that I had not thought of.... the heater core. Sure, most restored cars will not see rain and are stored inside. But, the heater cores, while rare, could leak and if you used the adhesive backed stuff it'll be loads of fun to remove to ensure the pan is dry. Good point!
I have only a little experience with the Dynamat/B-Quite butyl stuff, but I can see how water could ever get between the butyl and the floor pan. That stuff is seriously aggressive and once stuck down, it's stuck for good. With heat and a gasket scraper you can get it off, but it's not fun. I just don't see how water could get in between that bond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts