Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to refurbish the fiberglass case on my under dash AC unit for my 66? While I have it all apart I cleaned up the case with dilute Simple Green. Were these painted? If so what color.
I will be changing it over to R-134 and using a Sanden compressor so it's not a concourse restoration but I'd like it to look stock.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't help with the refurbishment questions but I will be following this thread as I plan on doing the same thing on my '66 convertible. Are you buying a kit for the R-134 swap or piecemeal it? The factory AC in my car doesn't work so I plan on replacing everything under the hood with new R-134 parts and keeping the factory under-dash unit. I haven't removed the underdash unit from my car yet to figure how how refurbishment it needs.

If you haven't seen it, here is a pretty good autorestomod video detailing the disassembly and cleaning of the under-dash unit.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
They're kind of black but you can see the fiberglass reinforcement in them like a heater case, so you can either paint it black, clear coat, or maybe wipe it down with something like baby oil for the stock look.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. @1966vert I saw that video and already took my unit apart. I'm planning on getting a kit for the R134 upgrade. New condensor/dryer/expansion valve and sanden compressor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am pulling my underdash unit this weekend. I am a little scared of what I will find since I can see what looks to be duct tape across the back of the unit. o_Oo_O

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am pulling my underdash unit this weekend. I am a little scared of what I will find since I can see what looks to be duct tape across the back of the unit. o_Oo_O
If it is a cloth tape on the back of each fan housing, Ford put that on to help seal the housing so it would not leak air to the back side of the AC unit. Should be about .75 to 1.00 inch wide and appear fairly thin and black in color.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it is a cloth tape on the back of each fan housing, Ford put that on to help seal the housing so it would not leak air to the back side of the AC unit. Should be about .75 to 1.00 inch wide and appear fairly thin and black in color.
Looks like mine is grey duct tape. I am guessing the evaporator was changed at some point. I haven't dug into it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
The duct tape is not factory! I have never seen any kind of tape on one. The metal clips hold the halves firmly together when they are installed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This duct tape is not factory at all. Someone replaced the original tape with this. The factory tape is a thin cloth tape identical to that found on some original heater motors. In restoring over a dozen AC units, I found the same identical tape on four or five. The remainder showed no tape at all or traces of the adhesive. This is going back over 40 years. There are probably no units remaining with any original tape still attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts