Vintage Mustang Forums banner

under dash assemble sequence

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wicked93gs 
#1 ·
started to put things back together on my 65 today and I started with the wiper motor and linkage. Having already installed the master cylinder when I did the brakes putting the wiper assembly in was a bitch. found it easier to remove the master cylinder and its support bracket. Got it done but made me think is there a easy sequence to installing things under the dash without something getting in the way. So I am asking the more experienced assemblers here what they did.

#2 ·
I guess it would depend on where you started. When I did my '66, I already had the instrument cluster, radio, ash tray, front seats and heater controls out. That way I was able to service the wiper motor & controls and check the switch/motor operation before anything else got in the way. I don't know if this is the "prescribed method" but it worked for me.

#4 ·
I installed the wiper motor and arms first.
Second, I moved to the wiring harness.
After that, I installed all of the instrument panel switches.
You can install the instrument cluster now and test to make sure all of the lamps work.
Install the brake/clutch support and the master cylinder, along with the clutch linkage.
Now you can move to the heater box side. If the heater controls were out, install them now.
I installed the steering column later so I could have more room.
You can install the ashtray anytime, but you'll need that hole if you're installing a radio.

#5 ·
The wiper assembly is the big one(I made sure to install it before I dropped the lower cowl back in...good thing too...had to modify the wiper arm holes to get it to fit correctly), but after that I would hit the wiring harness and the firewall insulation followed by the heater box and then the rest should be easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.