Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a lead there for a minute when I followed a similar post by bluefinger about a circuit he couldn't identify. But it was a dead end in the end.

My 66 harness has double leads going to the emergency flasher can. The manuals all show only single leads. The extra set, which are crimped into the terminals at the emergency flasher, are the same color as the other set. Orange with a yellow stripe and solid blue. They travel together until they end near the plug in for the steering column. At this point they are cut, so I don't have a terminal type for a clue. They aren't meant for the turn signal flasher, because I have the leads and the turn signal flasher can on the harness and they are connected correctly.

Does anyone else have a 66 harness that has double wires crimped into the emergency flasher terminals? I'm about ready to just tape them up and forget them and never know what they're for.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129086&Sequence=6&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The electrical schematic I have for my 70 shows the orange with yellow stripe going to the fuse box for power and the blue going to the switch. However, these are the colors on my blinkers, not the emergency flashers. Go figure. You are correct that the emergency flashers and blinkers run off separate leads, even different fuses (at least on the 70). What I suspect is that you have a glitch from the factory, like a monday morning installation job, and the line worker down the line just clipped the redundant set. Just my 2 cents worth. Yeah, these harnesses are "interesting". I have three I have used to figure out what's going on, including one from a 70 XR7 cougar.

sure it's fun (most of the time), but it's only a car.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
E-mail me at [email protected] I believe I have the same setup, and can help you out. Don't expect an answer until later in the week: welding class tonite!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
The Orange/yellow wire is the input into the flasher unit, and runs to the fuse box and to the cigarette lighter as a blue/white wire. There should only be one orange wire at the flasher unit, unless it also runs directly to the lighter. My Osborne diagrams show it is red/white, with a crimp at the flasher unit to the blue/white. The output side of the flasher unit is a double blue, one of which goes directly to the switch, and the other I have indicating as hanging open in the car (original switch; now replaced). Osborne just shows a single wire there, and it being red/white. The output of the e-switch itself should have a white/blue wire that goes to the turn signal switch (RH parking lamps), a green/red wire that goes to the turn signal switch (stop lamps), and a green/white wire (LH parking) that goes to the turn signal switch. All of these outputs are double leads with the output of the turn signal switch wires, according to Osborne.

I bought a replacement switch harness (early 1966 version) from Ford, and it plugged directly into the main harness. It has the double leads at the flasher unit, so I can't really tell you where the second blue wire goes without pulling the whole harness out. I suspect the switch was a double-input switch, pulling signals from each blue line into two signals.

Does this help? Johnpro had a similar problem waaaay back when. I'd suggest you invest the $35 for a Ford e-switch harness.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts