Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 65 mustang with two under the dash courtesy lights. I want to wire them to the door switch button. I have the original Green/Yellow and Blue and/ Black wiring for it. Again, I only have two under dash lights, nothing else to hook up. I keep blowing fuse. I pulled all the wiring and I don't have a short. The Green and Blue wires from the fuse box, split into the Light switch and then branch off with a series of plugs. ON the door switch, I wired one green and one blue and then the blue has a separate split to light the bulb. The only thing not connected are the factory female plugs that would extend for the additional lights in the back. Are the the problem why my fuse keeps blowing. the size of the bulb? Should I scrap it and just rewire it another way?

·
Registered
850 Posts
When does the fuse blow? I'd make sure nothing is spliced into the black-blue and green-yellow wires, then disconnect all connections and plug them in one at a time starting with a green-yellow which is 12v from the fuse panel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It blows as soon as i insert the fuse. Question, can I leave the placed areas from the factory open since I don't have more than two lights to add? like the photo attached

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you inserting the fuse with all wiring intact and a door or glove box open when it blows? Leaving the extensions open is fine as long as nothing gets inserted into them that shouldn't, that's the way they come from the factory.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How did you determine you don’t have a short?

Do you have the ability to measure current draw?

If the fuse is the proper size for the circuit and of sufficient quality there are two things that will blow the fuse. It’s either wiring or excessive current draw. I would only bypass it as a last resort after I knew what the base issue was. If you do need to bypass it you can get an inline fuse holder for that circuit.

If it’s certain the circuit doesn’t have a short and there are no wild lines tapped off of it drawing current I’d inspect the fuse block and other wiring at the fuse block for potential issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuse box looks good. I get power from the bottom of the missing fuse link constant and nothing on top. So that’s good. Just missing the fuse that I keep blowing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts