Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the dash today disconnecting the brake booster from the pedal.

Since I have 1/2 the front of the car disassembled I was wondering how difficult it would be to remove the under dash harness to clean both the harness and under the dash, then get it reinstalled.

I would also like to inspect the harness for any issues and either refurbish or upgrade the fuse box. I also want to relocate the flashers to a more convenient location like near the glove box or radio. They are a PITA if you need to replace one of them.

Removing and reinstalling the harness, difficult or not?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just finished putting mine back in (66 coupe). Its not "difficult" but take some patience to make sure everything goes back where it is supposed to, all the grounds are reconnected, none of the wiring is close to the wiper arms, etc. Take lots of pics and mark everything clearly and putting it back in will go much more smoothly.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Pull the front seats and console, if you have one, to get some extra room while you do this. Pictures, tape, Sharpies, diagrams, etc., need to be close by. And patience, lots of patience. When I did this a few years ago, I made sure I had lots of time to get the job done. One thing that really helped me was that once I got all the wiring out, I taped it to a large piece of cardboard and labeled the cardboard as to what the different wire runs were for. It makes it easier for you to visualize.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heater box is out as well as the entire engine harness, no ac, no console. Cluster, radio and glove box are also out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I replaced my under dash harness a couple of years ago, what helped me was laying out the harness on a workbench and using my wiring diagram I labeled each wire with a label maker. Believe me, you will not remember color codes while laying on your back stuffed up under the dash...! I left the labels on in case I ever ran in to a future electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The heater box is out as well as the entire engine harness, no ac, no console. Cluster, radio and glove box are also out.
Than now is the time. If you have that colored version of the wiring harness, i sent the PDF to my cousin who printed it up to poster size. Real helpful. As others said, label everything and take tons of pics.
It took me the whole weekend to get mine back in but I took a lot of time going over everything. @LeeFred's idea of the cardboard is great. After taking tons of pics, I took my old one out and spread it across the floor and labeled everything. Mine was pretty hacked up so many things were not correct. I took my new upgraded harness and spread it across the floor also and labeled everything. I probably looked at it a dozen times before I attempted to put it in.

Couple of things, search the forum, there are some really great threads on the best way to lay the harness in the car. Here is my thread. I think start form the PS side first. Also make sure you have the correct harness for your emergency flashers. My new harness had the new hook ups and my car had the old harness. Needed to get a new switch.

If you are getting a new harness with the upgraded fuse panel, cutting the kick panel can be confusing. The template they give you isn't to scale. I can show you mine or there is a thread in here about it.

Have fun.......Your back will not be happy with you when all this is over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts