Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running a shroud or panel under the radiator like modern cars? I recently took out a perfectly good radiator at an autocross due to a rock getting between the radiator and engine and bouncing into the radiator and taking out 4 rows when it bounced off the fan. Maybe it was a 1 in a million chance, or maybe it wasn't? I really need to go back to the scene of the crime next Sunday at Fort Wayne for some test and tune but don't need to toast another radiator in the process. I'm thinking of filling in the corners between the frame and strut mounts along with filling in the space between the strut mounts back to the sway bar. Anybody done it? Possible negative consequences?

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Some sheet metal and a handful of self-tapping sheet metal screws will have you fixed up in a jiffy.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some sheet metal and a handful of self-tapping sheet metal screws will have you fixed up in a jiffy.
That's what I was thinking. I've got a 3' sheet metal brake to stiffen the ends and several 4x8 sheets of stainless sheet metal left over from commercial kitchens. I was kind of wondering if it would hurt or help cooling? Worth a try as worst case scenario I remove it between runs.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Ive been eyeballing that myself. I dont think it will hurt cooling or make the front end want to lift.

I would give it a try and if it has a negative effect, punch some louvers in it and give it another go.

I was thinking about it from the aspect of not licking up dirt and water on the front of the engine.

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I’ve thought about doing something similar, but have never gone beyond thinking about it.😉

In theory, the air that enters through the radiator gets forced under the car at the firewall, so sealing up the front half should be fine aerodynamics and cooling wise. It may increase the negative pressure behind the radiator by forcing the air to travel straight backwards instead of getting sucked under the car right after passing through the radiator, which could help cooling. Whatever the effect, it should be relatively minor.

Now if you covered the entire bottom of the engine bay, and were able to vent the air to the sides or through the hood, now you are talking! You might be able to get a Mustang to create some semblance of downforce. You could then cruise effortlessly at triple digit speeds... 😁

·
Registered
653 Posts
Get your brake and beader fired up, and you could make a very nice piece pretty easily.
Then you can tell everyone how difficult it was to make. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts