Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High all. Question for the group: Is the under column trim for the wiring harness different between tilt and non-tilt columns? Mine was missing and I recently purchased one but it doesn't seem to fit. Does anyone have a pic they could email me? Come to think of it, this may put me in semi-Doofus status. Thanks for the help.

G

·
0 Posts
I am converting my 67 convertible from non-tilt to factory 67 tilt. Well, the turn signal switch on the tilt column I'm putting in was broken, so I made the usual call to a Mustang Vendor. The tilt switch is different than the non-tilt switch. Naturally, it cost more too. Those wires you are talking about down the side are from the turnsignal switch. They control your signals, horn, and flashers. Anyway, on my 67 there is a difference, so I'm sure there is on your 68 too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Chris,

Nothing dofus about trying to figure something out!

I'll assume you are referring to the 68 steering column. The wiring harness protector that runs along the bottom of the column is different for tilt and non-tilt coumns. I believe the non-tilt protector is longer. Ford moved the wiring harness external to the column because of safety reasons with the collapsible column (pinched wires). Also, if you are searching for the protector, good luck! I know of a couple show car owners that are looking for that piece too.

Regards,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, Pete. I was afraid you were going to say that they were different. I knew it was going to be a tough find. BTW, do you want to buy a slightly used wiring trim cover for a non tilt 68? LOL.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you might try MR Fomoco that used to be on this Forum but i have not seen him about for a while. he may have his own site at www.fomoco.com. he has many unusual parts - i found drv side vent cable from him still wrapped in Ford packaging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts