Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been grinding and sanding the undercarriage and engine compartment of my GT 350, off and on now for about a month (finger injury had me away for a week or so). I've got all the rough edges smoothed out. It looks like a mix of bare metal, and grey primer (the PO sprayed on the grey primer without removing all the road scum so I cleaned up the bad places). The red paint seen in the pics below is not red oxide primer...it's candyapple red overspray...I guess the PO wasn't going for original with the grey primer.

I've got my seam sealer, red oxide and black engine compartment paint, so I'm ready to stop sanding.

Does it look like I've sanded enough?

Any guidelines or comments are welcome.

Here's some pics:

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/91/15/11230097-2550-028001E0-.jpg
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/92/15/11230098-d1f1-028001E0-.jpg

Thanks.

wjj

G

·
0 Posts
Looks good.

If your not going original, I'd hit it with epoxy primer first to seal out further rust.

Regardless, I'd hit it with something before surface rust sets in. I'm sure the humidity is fairly high in TX.

Read up on a recent post of using seam sealer with lacquer finishes.

·
Vendor
5,205 Posts
Looks great! I would get something on those bare metal places fast, otherwise it'll rust and you'll be back to sanding again!

You'll sure have one pretty car when it's finished!

·
Registered
923 Posts
We first did our engine compartment with POR-15 It tends to run and sag. We were not happy with the results. We wound up sand blasting the whole engine compartment and sprayed it with Krylon primer and 1613 flat black. If you spray the POR it should look fine. If you brush it on it will sag.
Dave

PS also since we did it we put a few scratches in the engine compartment while installing the parts as well as work we've had to do. All it took to fix it was a shot from the Krylon can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts