Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rust free floor, rails, ect... 12 yrs ago a wire brush cleaning was done finished with a coat or 2 of black epoxy. At this point, while this looks good,but dull, there are rust pimples on the underside of my floor and metal underneath.

I would like to clean that up. Some you can fleck off withyour nail, while others seem to be tougher. Should I sand blast clean or get underneath there with a wire brush and sandpaper then POR-15 the bottom then hit with a sealer ?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you use por-15 or eastwood rust encapsulator, that basically turns the rust to metal. the rust that is too thin will fall off when brushing it on. i just cleaned mine up with an air-wire brush first, then painted it with eastwood and it looks great.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Are you sure they are rust? Original primer had lots of drips that look like pimples.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Nothing beats a sand/media blaster at cleaning up an undercarriage mess. If you want a first class job, it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I can fleck it off with my nail or a scraper.

Not looking forward to it, I send you a pic.

Thanks..Tim

Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sandblast is the best way, BUT, either strip the car down to the shell or be sure you seal every possible crack and crevice all over the car lest you get sand everywhere.

Trust me, not an easy thing to deal with.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If you can get it blasted, I recommend that, but otherwise, do what Mitchell recommended, get as much of the flacks off and use the Eastwood encapsulator.

I had mine blasted and I put new floors in. I then put a coat of encapsulator on the entire underbody and then shot it with Eastwood Chasis black. Looks great and should hold up for another 40 years. I will be posting pictures soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts