Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so you want undercoating at a cheap price? Do as the PO did on my 71 convertible...find a freshly paved asphalt street and drive back and forth on it until the bottom of the car is covered 1" thick in tar and gravel. This should protect it for years.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I dunno, the PO on my FB just dumped a buttload of roofing pitch all over the place, either way is pretty quick, cheap and a PITA to get off.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeh! my P/O did the same had roof pitch on everything, brake fuel lines diff, spindles, the stuff was everywhere. :jawdrop: He must of used a 6" brush. It was a hard and long job to get it off. :wall: But at least the car didn't have a speak of rust and I found allot of detailing marks from the factory as well. :biggrin:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Reminds me of the 66 in the garage. All I can do is shake my head and wonder what on earth someone was thinking. The PO used roofing tar, not just for undercoating. He did the absolute worst floor pan "patches" and then coated the whole bottom of the car with roofing tar! :wall: And he drove it like that! Some people....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Actually it did a really nice job where it was still sticking! No rust at all hardly.

Seeing the shape our new '67 Convertible is in, I wish I had tar to scrape off it!!! The midwest is really hell on these 39-40 year old cars.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sorry guys but I can go you one better. My 68 FB came to me with some godawful tarry substance not only on the bottom but also inside, still wet, before the carpet was put down. Took me three months to get both the top and bottom of the floor cleaned up. Needless to say, the carpet came up, very reluctantly, piece by small piece! Mark

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Man that is just wrong....I say we get all the PO's together, coat them in tar...and light 'em up...
just kidding of course :joker: ::

·
Registered
152 Posts
My work truck sees a lot of prime/tar over the course of a summer and the mechanics always complain about having to peel that stuff off with a putty knife and orange all. The trucks never rust though! :peeping:

·
Registered
771 Posts
at least the car didn't have a speak of rust and I found allot of detailing marks from the factory as well.
Looks like maybe some should thank the PO... You can guess what this car would have looked like without any coating. The bigger problem is when they use undercoating to cover up uglyness (is that a word?) ::

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
My 66 had the same garbage on the inside and the outside. Seems like the way to fill holes in the floor pan back then was to slap down some "roofing cement", then place "flashing for rooflines" down, then some more "roofing cement". And for heaven's sake don't even think about welding with any of that stuff in the vicinity! $*#&#^#^$&$* will catch on fire! Every last drop has to be removed... :: Only a Bast*^d of Satan would use roofing tar on a car!!! :chainsaw: :wall: :no: ::

·
Registered
484 Posts
My PO used fiberglass on the whole bottom of my car, but it may have saved my floors, because I live in the "saltbelt." It actually doesn't look that bad on the bottom of the car. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It has done really good so far, so maybe he was on to something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts