Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an underdash a/c unit. I have no clue as to what this came out of. I can take photos, but can't host them, so I'll try to describe it.

First, the only markings I can find is: "MAY - 1 1967A" and this is stamped on the back of one of the fan housings. In the back the unit has two fans separated by the a/c expansion valve/inlet hoses. The back housing is made of fiberglass. The actual fans have "Torrington" "3 13/16 Airotor" stamped into the metal.

Looking at the front of the unit, it has 3 vents on top, the bottom has a fake wood grain with the control knobs on the left and the whole front is surrounded in chrome. One Fan switch (Off, Low, Med, High) and one temp switch (Off, 1-6, Max). And lastly, on the front wood grain panel, left side is a FORD emblem. The emblem has Ford on the top and 3 triangles (red, white, blue) on the bottom.

Anybody care to guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I can't guess, but I can impart some words of wisdom. Most of the early AC units were made by the same manufacturer, with different face plates for different cars. For Fords, it would have been the same underdash unit for a Mustang or any other car made in the same time period by Ford.

In addition, I have seen underdash units in cars of other manufacturers have the same unit as the Mustang. For example, I once saw a Nash Rambler with what looked to be a Mustang underdash unit, but upon closer inspection, it had a Nash emblem in the same spot where the Ford emblem would have been.

It is pretty safe to say that Ford would have used the same units across platforms, so this unit with the Ford emblem would be ok for a Mustang. If you want to learn more, you might try to contact Classic Auto Air. They could possibly be able to tell you more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts