Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 67 Convertible. The previous owner installed speakers in the kick panels. They are POS and the panels are shot. I'm replacing the kick panels and would rather leave them original since most of the posts I read indicate that the speaker/kick panel combos aren't much better. Has anyone had any luck with the dual speaker set ups that fit where the original dash speaker is? Do they really go in without modifications? How do they sound? Most of the supply sell good/better/best set ups. Are the differences noticable? Thanks to all who respond!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
We have one in our 65 convertible. It's not very powerful and can't compete with wind noise when the top is down. Since we are replacing the interior for a color change, we decided to leave those in place as the "front" speaker and add the kick panel/speaker combo as the "rear" speakers. We'll find out in about a month how well that works out.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
I made my own using two Infinity 4" speakers and power them with an amp behind a nice custom fit radio head.
Just trace your original factory speaker on to a sturdy piece of fiberboard cut hotes and mount speakers to the board.
They sound great but of course you dont get a good l/r separation.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

G

·
0 Posts
The 3 1/2 inch dash speakers you are talking about are not going to give that good of a sound unless you listen to it at low volumes with the top up and engine off. the speakers cant take much power without distorting and in a convertable you need alot of power or the wind will drown out the sound. the best setup i have seen that wouldnt take much modification is the speaker kick panel from canadian mustang, a good 5.25 inch component set of speakers with the woofer in the kickpanel and the tweeter in the dash spaces you are talking about of in the door panels as near the woofer as possible. these speakers will alow you to add a great deal of power and still be loud and clear (what you want in a convertable). then you can always add speakers to the rearif you still want more sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts