Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing every component in my front and rear suspensions, I've noticed that the front end on the driver's side is sitting about 5/8 of an inch lower than the passenger side.

As I said, everything is new, and the shock towers should be where they need to be because of the Monte Carlo bar and export brace that are in place.

I should also disclose that the car has had the "Shelby Drop" done to the upper arm mounts, toe and camber are also out, not having been set since the rebuild. None of this, however,aside from the alignment settings, possibly, should have an impact on uneven ride height, since the same template was used for the shelby drop on both sides and everything is new.

As noted,the car hasn't been aligned yet,and I've observed that the caster on the driver's side is WAY off - with the top ball joint about 1/2 inch AHEAD of the lower ball joint on that side. The passenger side appears to either be straight up or just slightly positive caster (upper ball joint behind the lower).

I do have both TCP adjustable strut rods and ProMotorsports Vario-Centric camber plates on the car, but haven't fooled with the settings yet, to set the basic camber and caster.

Has anyone seen or heard that negative caster (or any other alignment setting)can affect ride height?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Have you checked to see the VarioCentrics are installed correctly and the pins are set equally? Are the adjustable arms set equally? If they're set equally then unless the car has some frame problems the ride height ought to be equal.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Here are a few additional simple problem and solution that can cause the problem:
1. Check to make sure both upper a arms are in the new shelby drop holes.
2. Check to make sure both shelby drop holes are in the correct location.
3. Check to make sure the springs on both sides are fully seated on the perch with the open end of the springs facing down and on the rear of the perch and that the insulator is installed on both.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 67... new front and rear springs, upper and lower control arms, and my front left is sitting approx. 1" lower then the right, also my rear axle is not centered in the wheel opening, and the right rear is approx 1 1/2 " higher then the left.... very frustrating.

I dropped the car off today at my buddies place who owns a spring shop and should know tomorrow the prognosis (sp)

I'll keep you updated.

where did you buy your springs ?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The suspension components all came from Laurel Mtn. Mustang, but all have "Canadian Mustang" embossed on the bushings. I am told that Laurel Mtn. buys them from Canadian.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James - Not sure what you mean by "spring shims". There are insulators on top of each spring that serve as anti-squeek devices, and they have been replaced with 1-inch polyurethane spacers because the 620# "minus 1" springs had the front end too low, compared to the rear end.

If you are referring to the control arm shims, there are none on the UCA mounting studs right now - because it was my hope that the adjustable strut rods and the camber plates would obviate their need.

I can't find anything wrong with the unibody or frame rails, either. Every critical measurement taken compares to a neighbor's never-wrecked 65 coupe exactly, so I am puzzled as to why this has happened.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the rear is fine.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I bought my front and rear springs from LMM as well and my RR was high and my LF low.. I took it to a spring shop and they re- arched the rears and now the rear is great and it corrected the LF a lot... my LF is still fractionally lower then the right, but the front end is still too low with the standard springs I received from LMM, so I ordered a new set from the spring shop, I won't have them for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My rear is definitely sitting higher than I would have expected it to - since the rear springs are the 5-leaf "mideye" units. However, I've been told by a couple of folks in my local Mustang club that driving the car regularly for a few weeks will result in the rear springs "settling", perhaps as much as an inch.

Your comments about replacing the rears and seeing the front height disparity improve are intesting, though. For the life of me, I cannot understand how one could affect the other, but I don't doubt your story.

I'll be trailering the car over to the bodyshop that did most of the welding on the car - as they were the ones who originally repaired the shock tower (hairline crack where the inner reinforcement is welded to the tower itself- common early mustang problem that is overlooked by many restorers I am told) and drilled the holes for the Shelby template. They have agreed to look at it and compare all the sheet metal measurements to an unmolested original car they have there.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts