Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a pertronix ignitor on my 67 with a 302 (for some reason had dual points before I installed the pertronix). Took the car for a drive after installation, and eventually it began trying to stall at stops, there was significant power loss, and a lot of popping from the exhaust after harder acceleration.

Decided to take the cap off and check what the problem was, only to notice fine aluminum shavings scattered throughout the distributor. After further inspection it seems that the rotor was digging deep groves into the connections on one side of the cap, while probably not touching the other side at all. It seems like the rotor is not centred properly, almost as if the shaft is bent or something.

It is worth noting that this issue did not exist before installing the ignitor. The cap, rotor, and presumably the shaft were in perfect condition. My only guess is that maybe I didn’t snap the cap on correctly when I finished the installation, but I’ve tried to replicate this, and haven’t had success, so I’m almost certain that isn’t the issue.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Every time I've seen an improperly installed cap it was in several pieces. As soon as the rotor hits it it shatters. I don't see how the rotor could cut grooves into the cap without shattering it.

·
Registered
33,884 Posts
The ignitor has no effect on the center shaft. I'm gonna go with you had the cap on crooked and got lucky. Replace it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had a cap from popular parts store that rocked on the dist. So yes it was off center at the top. Took it back with an old dist. and show them the problem. They couldn't sell me one that didn't. The store next door had what I needed.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
I've seen a new cap or two that didn't seat as well. I recall one in particular that instead of having a single locating tab had two. In that case I shaved off the extraneous one and it worked fine. It would actually fasten on but it felt odd and looked odd enough that I caught that there was something wrong.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
If given the cap is "centered" as it should be, could it not be "wobble' in the shaft bushing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ignitor has no effect on the center shaft. I'm gonna go with you had the cap on crooked and got lucky. Replace it.
Ordered a new cap and rotor on Monday just to be sure I’m not a complete idiot and put the cap on crooked. It should be in later today. If there’s no success from that, I’m going to assume that it’s purely a coincidence that this went wrong when it did, and has nothing to do with the ignitor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Note that pertronix says to use ford rotor. We have found that aftermarket rotors do not seat properly into the pertronix reluctor causing the rotor to sit too high and vlash in the cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts