Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever covered their interior panels (fastback in my case) with vinyl?

I got the idea when I was pondering how to duplicate the interior texture onto my fabricated (to hold speakers) trunk access panel. So, what about covering it with vinyl instead of trying to give it a vinyl-like texture? That's when it dawned on me how nice the whole interior would look in vinyl. Maybe even with a thin padding underneath (?)

Has anyone ever tried this or at least seen it done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think Mustang and Fords covered some interior parts of their Project ED coupe in vinyl. I am interested in this myself and I would like to hear how it goes for you. Good luck.
Jeff

·
Administrator
19,319 Posts
It certainly can be done. About 6 months ago one of the Mustang magazines did the doors on a project car. No, I can't remember exactly who and when, sorry. Basically they took the car to a pro and took pictures while he did the work. I believe this is the best way to go.
I've done some smaller projects in vinyl and have found wrapping around corners and curves to be a real bear. And to do the project right, you have to use adhesive that gives you exactly ONE chance to get it stuck on in position. I found it REALLY hard to come out with something that didn't look like crap.
I'm a firm believer in do-it-yourself, but there are projects you just have to send out. I've seen show cars done over the way you're talking about and it's glaringly obvious who paid and who did their own work. When the job is done properly, it ends up being very attractive. Assuming you're not going with day-glo orange and lime green.
Some folks with deep pockets have done this with leather. The results look very Ferrari-like. Or that's what it makes ME think of.

G

·
0 Posts
I am in the middle of doing it to my 67 convertible. You MUST get off all the paint. Use a good stripper and then clean it off COMPLETELY. The rest if patience and time. I haven't started yet, but have the whole interior out of hte car right now. I just yesterday bought the vinyl. It cost 20 dollars per yard and you need basically one yard per door. Don't use the 7 dollar a yard stuff. There is a major difference in how it will wear and stretch. It will not look as good. I bought mine form the guy that reupolstered my 98 LX seats to match my parchment 67 interior. I'm going to put a thin pad only at the top where your arm rests. Wish me luck. I've got door seals off and we are repainting the car now. Should be painted within the next two weeks, then I can put the vinyl on the doors and put the new seals on. I( think it looks great and does no permanent damage. So, go for it. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses everybody. Now that you guys mentioned it, I remember that article in Mustang&Fords too. I hadn't considered the door panels; but that only makes sense if I'm doing the fastback panels.

Don't even know if I'll go through with it or not. I just wanted everyone's opinion. Thanks again!

·
Registered
759 Posts
It is not that hard. I did my speaker box, trunk and door panels. There is different quality vinly out there so check what you buy. Also vinyl likes to show bumps and ditches. So try to make everything as smooth as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts