Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently went through two batteries in one month..I took the car to autozone ans they said it was the regulator on the test.. so I went back home and dug around and found behind the alternator a thick black and red wire attached to a smaller black red wire just lossely hanging out.. should I connect these to the engine block??or where should I . ..and will this cure my charging problem....thanks guys..this website is the greatest thing since the mustang itself

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Someone butchered your wiring when they put in the MSD Ignition box. You will have to get the correct wiring diagram for an MSD igniton box, and go from there. A Mustang wiring diagram would'nt hurt either...

Tony K.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is a black and red ground wire that comes off the main wiring harness, that attaches to the firewall right by the voltage regulator. However, I don't know what has been done to your wiring with that MSD box. Like Tony said, you need to get a wiring diagram. There may be a reason that's not connected anymore.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There appears to be a black/red wire of similar gauge connected to the alternator output terminal in the left picture. Maybe that is the connection that should be going to your solenoid input terminal thus powering your battery? Start the car see if you have power at that ring terminal, or trace the cable out and see where it goes.

Also find a wiring diagram or buy a shop manual. That wiring made me die a little inside...

Jafo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it does hurt to look at.!!! I will check the power coming off of it when I get home.. the car runs very strong and starts right up ..it just kills the battery..I was think of going to single wirre and ripping all that junk out...thanks again for the replies.. could that be the ground wire ?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The wire in your pic, Is the ground wire for the charging system.
It needs to be attached to the block grounding bolt with the neg cable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So behind the. Alternator the only thing hooked up to the block ground 3/8 bolt was the negative battery cable..so the ground wire was never attached.. problem is ..that it won't reach the bolt..its been spliced.. so can I resplice and attach it to the negative batter cable at the terminal or does it have to touuch the block... hopefully this will fix my charging problem

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I grounded the wire and installed a new regulator..and now the car barely runs..it glugs out.. any help!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts