Vintage Mustang Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to keep this thread going......

When someone specifies they have a "fastback" when it has no relevancy at all to the question / topic being discussed.

Example: What size lug nut will fit my 67 fastback?

Really.
I'll try to remember that when I start posting questions about my car...did I mention it's a "fastback"? :^)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
For some reason, 302 and smaller Fords are called "Small block Fords" or "SBF". 351 engines are called "Windsors" even though 221 through 302 CID are Windsors. The other engine families are basically understandable, except for the 351M. Don't know if anyone understands those.

·
Registered
550 Posts
There's no room in my life for silver blue. It's the embodiment of a 90's Toyota Camry color...

It should be noted, there's no room for hurt feelings here... This is for fun.
Me too! Silver blue is reserved for grocery getters! :LOL:

Reactions: xj220

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wheels any larger than 16" on any 65-68 mustang...they are too big for the smaller mustangs...they look cartoonish...most people wont agree with that... but its what my eyes tell me. Like 22" dubs on a 90s caprice.
I hate cars running on freaking tall wheels

·
Registered
43 Posts
My pet peeves ,
engine bays over loaded with bling , it’s so wrong .
Big honking air scoops that serve no purpose .
Meadow lark yellow ! Mine was , I hated the color . Painted mine Jade green,
I am not a fan of rolled fenders ,
underbody lights , wheel lights .
I am not a fan of the whole rear end trunk area with tail lights from one end to the other ! Looks like crap to me .

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My pet peeves ,
I am not a fan of rolled fenders ,
I'm not a fan of skinny fender wells! :p

The freaking tall wheels serve a purpose both performance and cost wise for me. But yea I hate them. Necessary evil.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
My 67 may end up silver blue. Its unassuming.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not a fan of skinny fender wells! :p

The freaking tall wheels serve a purpose both performance and cost wise for me. But yea I hate them. Necessary evil.
Yea , tall skinny tires . Suck for me

·
Registered
289 Posts
We are often asked our opinions.....

1: Color. Black/Grey/Silver/White. They're sooo boring. Every other car in the world right now is a shade of these 4 colors with very few exceptions. The only way to get away with one of these colors is if you have a brightly contrasted interior, like red or blue. Full disclosure, my car was black with red interior and I changed it to all black with grey flames. You may now throw stones at my glass house.

5. Stant lever radiator cap. It's ugly. If you have one, you should remove it and see how far you can throw it.
I know that Red is overdone too, but Red with black and chrome is still very appealing to me on any hot rod. But then anything is better than those ugly green 68 coupes.

12. In line with the above, rear (or front) wheels that stick out beyond the wheel well. Even dedicated drag cars. Tuck it in, imho.

17. Overdrive. 5 speeds and 6 speeds for life. Just better overall.
agreed 5 and 6 speeds for life, but I love the rear tires sticking out. The wider the better, looks mean, aggressive, and ready to play.

Only thing I can really disagree on is #1 - add red. How many red stangs are there in every variation of red anyone can dream up. Find something different for crying out loud. Give me a nice clean white 70 Mach 1...….
true but again that red/black/chrome combo always looks good on any hot rod to me. But avoid green 68 coupes at all cost.

My local resto place calls me “Ricky Racer”
Changing your name on this forum to Ricky Racer would be very appropriate IMHO.

2. Flat paint! Again, get a paint job. If it's a work in progress or a track beater in primer, sweet! But don't treat your high-dollar restomod (or exotic or luxury car) to a dull flat paint job (or similarly bland wrap). Do it right and paint it!
I had to go with the Mach 1 flat black out on my hood. Not a fan of flat paint but in certain circumstances, it fits.

2. Vintage Mustangs are toys, nothing more. Dont spend money you dont have on one......you are cheating yourself, your family, your future.
3. Ginger or MaryAnn? Ginger is a high maintenence HiPo solid lifter, duel point, 4 speed, 4.11 locker tire burner that will throw you back in the seat. MaryAnn is a 200/C4/2.79 coupe, pedestrian, but will get the job done.
spend like there is no tomorrow, cause one day there won't be, and hey, let the family earn their own money
As for Ginger or MaryAnn, I think Mrs. Howell is a sleeper. Thurston must have picked her for a reason.... just sayin

Talk about pet peeves. If you're gonna stick a Chevy in something, stick it in a Chevy! There are so many good Ford motors to put in Mercs and Fords, it reeks of ignorance to put an LS in one. Like "Well, I don't know Fords, but I know Chevy, so I just gutted this cool car to put in a motor I know."
How's THAT for an opinion! =)
Amen brother...

I've put maybe 2k miles on my car in 18 years! As far as a status symbol? Not me, very few people even know I have it. Using it as a status symbol would more likely be the person who drives it everywhere to show the world what they have, that's kinda the point of people acquiring "status symbols". And quite honestly If I wanted a status symbol, it certainly wouldn't an old 1 of 1 million 65 Mustang. Mine gets no miles because I'm a slave to my job and I spend my summers at work rather than enjoying my car... and life in general.
In the words of the Greek Philosopher Ferris Bueller
"Life Moves Pretty Fast. If You Don’t Stop And Drive Your Mustang Once In A While, You Could Miss It"

I don't like the '67-'68 fastback. Never did. Now, would I take one over just about any other muscle car EXCEPT any '65-'66 or a '69 sports roof? Of course. Or perhaps a notchback Barracuda.....
Let's get real here, all the Fastbacks rock, but nothing looks worse than those green 68 coupes. Especially if they're faster than say a red 69 Fastback.

Tall ride height / raised rear
Wheels that stick out
Again with the wheels sticking out....and now raise rear too? Blasphemy, that was the look back in the day. I'm stuck in my teens with this car and I'm never coming back :)

Spending way to much money trying to make a 50+ year old car perform and handle like a new car.
any performance upgrade is a good one IMHO, nothing like watching a classic beat modern, just sayin....

Okay..... there was a line, and you just crossed it!!!
Blasphemy I say!!!
Lmao!
agreed, who in the world doesn't like 67 and 68 Fastbacks? What would Steve McQueen say?

Disparaging remarks about the Mustang II. No, I don't own one but they have been in the family and they really were nice little, nice handling cars, under powered as they were. Seen a few though that would hold their own. Their styling was VERY much akin to the original Mustang, unlike the Fox body cars that really didn't resemble the originals. And lest we forget, they kept the Mustang alive at a critical time in history.
My oldest brother had a Mustang II. He hated it, and said the ad that went "Mustang II, boredom zero" was referring to the Mustang's top speed.

#666 Craftsman Tools - I like them, I use them (and they are now at Lowes!). They are reasonably priced and I can't remember ever having one fail. Wear out, sure maybe on a screwdriver. You can keep your Snap-On gold plated Craftsman tools.
Still have a set of Craftsman from 74.

First off, hating Apple is mainstream not unpopular...:
Apple pissed me off by charging for I-Tunes, guess it's just the principal of the thing

Not Mustang but probably my pet peeve! Any pickup truck with a bed shorter than it is wide is 110% stupid! Your "truck" is not a truck, it is a joke. My old Focus St could hold more than than those
I'd like to see your Focus haul some furniture. My 5.5' bed becomes 7' when I drop the tailgate. Can haul 4X8 sheets with no problem.

How did this thread go 8 pages without mention of the 160d thermostat to prevent overheating? Unless I missed it.
I actually did that for a while but not to prevent overheating. Thought it would be less wear with lower heat. Then I read about the benefits of having the oil get hot enough to boil the moisture out, and jumped up to 180.

Here's my unpopular opinion:
18" wheels on a 65-66 Mustang fit perfectly.
Fight me.
I'll take the 5th on this one.

Performance Autopart Stickers, anywhere (not originals)
I like them on a hot rod.

Unpopular Opinions ala Dobrostang:
2) Anyone who has a muscle car that hasn't wrung it out at the drags, autocross and/or road track and known the thrill and satisfaction of giving your all and putting it all on the line - finding the edges of both personal and hardware performance, to use Kelly-H vernacular; is a weeeeenie... and no, endangering civilians by driving crazy on the street doesn't count - being scared is not the same adrenaline high! (Now THATS a world class run-on sentence!) M is for Muscle and the purpose of Muscle is exercise - otherwise your just another imposter trying to look cool. Yea, I went there ;o)
3) The fundamental baseline of a person's true soul can be found in the engine compartment of their Muscle car. Everything you need to know about them is on display. You can tell if they are meticulous, functional, cheap, trying to conform, showing just a little leg, don't give a crap - just want it to work, overcompensating for "something" - its all there for the world to see...
5) TTD Been done to death, tells the story of someone who went the safe route not wanting to expose a corner of their personality - the only exception is guys with original TTDs from the 60s/70s
11) Car shows get boring after 30 to 45 minutes
agreed except for the TTD thing. I have no clue what a TTD is.

3. Cruising down the highway at 3,500 rpm is just stupid.
Amen brother

7) NOT DRIVING YOUR CLASSIC CAR. For the life of me, I will NEVER understand having a car and not enjoying it for its intended purpose.
Amen brother

I’m squarely stuck in my teens with this car.... which is late 80s, early 90s.
which is why the pro street, hot rod part is appealing, but I know well other hate it.
awesome, but let's get real here. Safety first, you probably need to slow it down a little.

Just to keep this thread going......
When someone specifies they have a "fastback" when it has no relevancy at all to the question / topic being discussed.
Example: What size lug nut will fit my 67 fastback?
Really.
especially when they work behind the counter at your auto parts store

65-68 coupes are cooler than fastbacks or verts.
Mpg matters.
go sit in the corner for an hour

(I agree, coupes are lighter, faster, and better than fastbacks. Especially the 69-70 models)
he's sitting in the corner, and you can join him... the coupes are lighter though :(

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Sorry, my daily driver is currently a 2002 F150 7700 with an 8" bed. You know, a real truck! And I've always owned a real truck with an 8' bed for the last 40 years, not a lifestyle vehicle. Sorry! And then there's the trailer.

I could haul 10' interior trim in my Focus and it stayed completely dry in the worst weather. A real truck is special order only these days given the way the posers have swayed the market.;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well at least we know Crank_ it_ up read the whole topic. As far as his reposnse to me about life being too short, he's right. which is why I work all the time and dont drive my car, I'm saving money to retire at or before 55 and just recently bought a lakeside retirement home in North Carolina.

I'll probably sell the car sooner than later, anyone wanna buy a 65 Coupe/Hardtop/Notchback? Its got a small block and if the offer is right I might toss in a couple of AR-15 clips.

·
Registered
289 Posts
...I'm saving money to retire at or before 55...
Sadly, I have known people that never made it to 55. The song, live like you were dying is good advice IMHO

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Sadly, I have known people that never made it to 55. The song, live like you were dying is good advice IMHO
I'm close to 55.. real close and healthy, but anythings possible. Since buying the house on the lake we have spent at least one week a month there fishing and floating off the back of the pontoon with a cooler full of cold beer, getting a sunburn so I'm probably "living" better than alot of people. I can do that due to a lifetime of working hard and saying yes to extra hours.
I work with a lot of people who lived their entire life like they were dying, and they're going to work until they die because of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm close to 55.. real close and healthy, but anythings possible....
I would already be dead from an aneurysm (no symptoms no warning) but got discovered when out of the blue I had Atrial Fibrillation, and had some testing done. Otherwise I would not be here. Thought I was in perfect health too. Blood pressure, Blood sugar, Cholesterol, were all good.

Reactions: Huntingky
201 - 220 of 243 Posts