Vintage Mustang Forums banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,735 Posts
Ooh I want to play.

Unpainted aluminum radiators. Why do you want your shiny Chinese radiator to be the focal point of your engine bay? I don't want to see it through your grille either.

Also, license plate frames from car dealers or auctions. If it's the original one from the 1960s? Sure. If it's John Parson's Chrysler Jeep Dodge Mercury JATO Bargain Car Lot, no. Why would you give a car dealership free advertising? They're not doing YOU a favor by selling you a car, even if they act like it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
...Unpainted aluminum radiators...
Was going to reply so we don't decrease the cooling efficiency but after a quick google verification, found out I was wrong. Thanks for making me look that up.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
736 Posts
This isn’t Mustang-related necessarily, but after an idiot nearly caused a wreck around me today with one...train horns on cars. Not only is it dumb and pointless, it’s dangerous.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
This isn’t Mustang-related necessarily, but after an idiot nearly caused a wreck around me today with one...train horns on cars. Not only is it dumb and pointless, it’s dangerous.
Lol funny story. About 20 years ago I was dating my first wife, her, my friend and I drove out to Tulsa for the weekend. My friend was driving us back while me and her slept it off. He wakes me and says "look at where that trucker has his horns mounted." I look over and he has 3 train horns mounted on the steps, i look up at him, he looks at me, i give him the arm pump and he blasted them horns. She came up swinging. We had to pull over, we was laughing so hard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Was going to reply so we don't decrease the cooling efficiency but after a quick google verification, found out I was wrong. Thanks for making me look that up.
Thanks for doing the leg work. I would've assumed there is something wrong with that. I might just paint mine black now to match the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Thanks for doing the leg work. I would've assumed there is something wrong with that. I might just paint mine black now to match the engine bay.
#BlackPaintMatters...seriously, you need to make sure to get a paint that will not interfere with heat transfer. Eastwood sells one specifically for radiators.

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
#BlackPaintMatters...seriously, you need to make sure to get a paint that will not interfere with heat transfer. Eastwood sells one specifically for radiators.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
^^^ That is interesting that the heat emmisivity of the black color would out weigh the insulative nature of the paint layer by such a large amount. I would still go with a radiator paint and a light coat.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
^^^ That is interesting that the heat emmisivity of the black color would out weigh the insulative nature of the paint layer by such a large amount. I would still go with a radiator paint and a light coat.
Paint is typically 1-2 mils thick..... the insulative nature would be almost impossible to measure....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,628 Posts
I like to use flat black lacquer. You can coat it on even thinner. Not great for long term durability though.

I keep hearing of "heat dispersing" paint here and there but have never actually seen any or heard of anyone using it. Yet.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I retired before 55. Some days its boring, but owning the whole day and choosing how to spend it is priceless.

Skinny tires? Thats how most of the "classics" came from the factory. On the front of a Mustang w/o PS, I would rather have a 70 or 75 series tire on a wheel with less BS than a wheel with a lot of BS and a 45-60 series tire.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Unpainted aluminum radiators. Why do you want your shiny Chinese radiator to be the focal point of your engine bay? I don't want to see it through your grille either.
I thought I was a fan of the "performance" look but when I installed mine I noticed it really stood out behind the grill. It's not terrible but keeping it black would've made the front cleaner. Either way, it's not worth the effort to drain the coolant, disconnect the fan, paint, and reinstall.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
440 Posts
There are SOOO many and I hope these are not repeats.

Fake hood scoops(unless its factory), anything applied with two way sticky tape to "improve looks or performance" and when someone cant figure out if they want to mimic the 65 or 66 Shelby and have a mix of both with some crazy chrome wheels on top of it.

Chris

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
KYB shocks
Hooker Super Comp (super suck) headers
Hipo fender emblems on non-hipo cars
65/66 fastbacks converted to wanna-be Shelby clones
Traction bars, slapper specifically but Traction Master too
Springtime Yellow
Pertronix anything
Cragar SS rims
Grant GT steering wheels
Any post on the VMF where it looks like the poster settled on vacuum power brakes for seemingly NO REAL REASON

Larry

·
Dimples
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
Hipo fender emblems on non-hipo cars
I’m not only guilty of this, but also have “5.0” V-badges. I’ve caught heat for either/both in the past, but I’m completely unapologetic. I like ‘em. :D

Edit: I just realized I posted an old photo that predates the pinstriping on the flames. Maybe this one is better...

·
Registered
294 Posts
1. Automatic transmissions

2. Hood pins
Love driving a manual, and when I'm over 100 mph, hood pins are my best friend.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
79 Posts
I’m not only guilty of this, but also have “5.0” V-badges. I’ve caught heat for either/both in the past, but I’m completely unapologetic. I like ‘em. :D
View attachment 764311

Edit: I just realized I posted an old photo that predates the pinstriping on the flames. Maybe this one is better...

View attachment 764314
After decades, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the metric system. I still think in cubic inches, but, what do I know. Personally, I think the 5.0 in retro looks pretty cool and anyone under 60 understands it.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts