Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
Wheels any larger than 16" on any 65-68 mustang...they are too big for the smaller mustangs...they look cartoonish...most people wont agree with that... but its what my eyes tell me.
I agree 100% But I have 17's because I autocross.

17" and larger wheels (they are NOT rims) on a Vintage Mustang is my biggest pet peeve and I have never been ashamed to express that on this forum. It is all in the shape of the wheel well openings. The early Mustangs' are somewhat teardrop shaped and the late models' are inverted U shaped. The larger wheels and tires with no sidewalls look like crap on a Vintage Mustang.
And long live the TTD wheel! There is nothing else that looks that good on a Mustang.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Expressing opinions is not a problem. Everyone's got 'em! The only problem is, a lot of people these days seem to think that they can't be friends unless they agree on everything.

I don't mind a bit when someone has a different point of view. If they've got good reasons for it, sometimes I can learn a thing or two! Or, I can disagree. It's even possible I'll decide that person's an idiot. This process of discernment is something we're all supposed to develop as we grow up.

As opposed to walking around with a big gaggle of friends that all share the same tastes and opinions. That's called "girls in high school". *puts on flame-retardant underwear*

;)

(I do TRY to be respectful, even when I disagree. Or think people are idiots. Sometimes I succeed.)
Yep. It ain't rocket science. I am more than pleased to read anything an automobile enthusiast enjoys regardless of their choices to include an LS based Mustang...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
1. Only an idiot argues with an idiot on the internet.

2. Vintage Mustangs are toys, nothing more. Dont spend money you dont have on one......you are cheating yourself, your family, your future.

3. Ginger or MaryAnn? Ginger is a high maintenence HiPo solid lifter, duel point, 4 speed, 4.11 locker tire burner that will throw you back in the seat. MaryAnn is a 200/C4/2.79 coupe, pedestrian, but will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
1. Only an idiot argues with an idiot on the internet.

2. Vintage Mustangs are toys, nothing more. Dont spend money you dont have on one......you are cheating yourself, your family, your future.

3. Ginger or MaryAnn? Ginger is a high maintenence HiPo solid lifter, duel point, 4 speed, 4.11 locker tire burner that will throw you back in the seat. MaryAnn is a 200/C4/2.79 coupe, pedestrian, but will get the job done.

Ginger Ann all day long.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I think you have Ginger and Mary Ann confused, and don't be using a duel point where a dual point should be...:grin2:

Allen

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd like to add Ford Letter camshafts to the list

2nd66, I'll leave the rest to you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Talk about pet peeves. If you're gonna stick a Chevy in something, stick it in a Chevy! There are so many good Ford motors to put in Mercs and Fords, it reeks of ignorance to put an LS in one. Like "Well, I don't know Fords, but I know Chevy, so I just gutted this cool car to put in a motor I know."

How's THAT for an opinion! =)

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
My opinion: Any car that is finished and all "done up" but sits in the garage and gets less than 500 (or even a few thousand) miles a year is not a car. It is an ornament that you are using as a status symbol.

To add onto that, to everyone who says they are afraid of driving their car for fear of it being wrecked: I think you're a weenie.

Oh yeah, and I really hate those halo LED headlights. They are just godawful.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My opinion: Any car that is finished and all "done up" but sits in the garage and gets less than 500 (or even a few thousand) miles a year is not a car. It is an ornament that you are using as a status symbol.

To add onto that, to everyone who says they are afraid of driving their car for fear of it being wrecked: I think you're a weenie.

Oh yeah, and I really hate those halo LED headlights. They are just godawful.
I've put maybe 2k miles on my car in 18 years! As far as a status symbol? Not me, very few people even know I have it. Using it as a status symbol would more likely be the person who drives it everywhere to show the world what they have, that's kinda the point of people acquiring "status symbols". And quite honestly If I wanted a status symbol, it certainly wouldn't an old 1 of 1 million 65 Mustang. Mine gets no miles because I'm a slave to my job and I spend my summers at work rather than enjoying my car... and life in general.

I do have some fear of wrecks in the car and my wife is terrified of them. Not of damaging the car but decapitation from the guillotine dash pad.

Im with ya on those headlights, Im ok with LED but the HALO's are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts

Reactions: EthanG66

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
And here I was pondering what to go with on my next paint job, and SILVER/GRAY kept flashing through my thought process.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I don't like the '67-'68 fastback. Never did. Now, would I take one over just about any other muscle car EXCEPT any '65-'66 or a '69 sports roof? Of course. Or perhaps a notchback Barracuda.....

Frankly, I've always lamented that the industry was in the midst of the two-year cycle thing. If they would have invested in chassis upgrades (Lord know they had the $$$$) for the '65-'66 to allow installing the big block, it's unlikely that sales would have suffered regardless of the new Camaro. The '67-'68 was worse in every possible way (well, he asked for unpopular opinions!!!).

·
Registered
635 Posts
A dangerous thread, but fun! Hopefully we can all stay friends, and always do what cha like.

My peeves include, but limited to, and subject to change:
Chevy engine, or just Chevy ignition
Ford Fox / Explorer EFI under the hood (cool in the ‘90s, not now)
Almost any chrome wheels
Crappy body kits
Blacked out window trim for the most part
Modern items (I’m ok with modern wheels), and I just added LED headlights (no halo) :)
Tall ride height / raised rear
Wheels that stick out
Blue tint
Normally I’d say an auto, but I’m rollin with a C4 :)

On a very positive note, I like this forum group a lot, and my favorite thread is the Distressed mustang thread.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I'm using 17" wheels because the performance tire selection for smaller than 17" wheels is dismal. I also wanted modern big brakes and needed the 17's for brake clearance. I like gray. I don't care if it is out of favor, I like it. I like painted engine compartments in other than black. I did one in '87 that was a speckled gray, copying a '66 track car I saw at Willow Springs. I never have liked the E cars. To me they look like someone threw a JC Whitney catalog at a Mustang. I prefer an absence of chrome, but I do like polished aluminum. I like TTD, I have a set of VWW 5 spokes going on my car but will change to the Minilite style Trans Am Race Engineering Superlite wheel. I like the 69/70 body style but not the interior, especially the dash.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What ever size tires(40s I assume) that have no sidewall. Doesn't look right on a muscle car, period. Not just Mustangs but any muscle car.
Living in Maine where roads absolutely suck I can't imagine a wheel lasting a summer without some cushion from a sidewall.

41 - 60 of 221 Posts