Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I pulled the fan and fan spacer off the engine in the customer's 66 coupe, to install on the new engine. The fan is a 6-bladed black fan that looks near exact to the metal Ford fan, but it's plastic! I assume that it is a form of flex fan, with the plastic blades distorting flatter as the rpms increase. I've never seen anything like this before, either on a car or in a catalog.

Is this thing "junk" that should be ditched in favor of either a factory fan or a "real" flex fan, or should I keep it? The owner was complaining that his car was overheating, but I don't see how at in town driving speeds this fan would flex enough to stop pulling air.

Meanwhile, I fired up the Eastwood's buffer motor for the first time and buffed out some chrome pieces. Wow, this stuff really works. The chrome alternator brackets, which I thought I'd have to toss, were made useable. Had to wet sand them with 1200/1500 first, to flatten out some pitting, but they cleaned up well enough on the buffer to be used. I am going to try polishing the Edelbrock carb and see if I can make the exterior shine.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think I know which one you're talking about. The blades actually look a little distorted (narrow and long) to start with when compared to a regular flex fan. My thoughts on it were it would be good on an all-out race car at higher rpm's (less weight, less reciprocating mass, less hp loss), so I stayed away from it. If mine sees over 5k rpm, it's because some one else stole it. I went with the traditional flex fan, although it's the chrome and stainless steel version, with a chromed spacer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts