Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 302/300HP roller cam crate motor. It actually arrived Wednesday but "unboxed" it today with my son hoping to build some excitement. I was surprised to see condensation build up on parts but I was more surprised to see the rust on the intake manifold mating surface (not sure it's official name)....should I care?

Take a look at it yourself and tell me what the right remedy is or if it even matters.

So what's your opinion/thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
To be honest, I would see about returning it. I assume you paid good money for that. It's been sitting in a place that was not climate controlled, nor was it properly protected.

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I would see about returning it. I assume you paid good money for that. It's been sitting in a place that was not climate controlled, nor was it properly protected.
It was a $3500 purchase from what I understand to be a reputable business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately you’re going to have to pull the heads to check cylinder walls and rings, the cam, and the crank. Some of those valves are open, judging by the push rods and lifters position. Chances are moisture is in a lot of other places. Does it turn over by hand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I bet it was built and bagged on a warm day.
I would call and yell and beach and scream if needed. Threaten they return it at their cost or you'll cancel the charge! Then if they offer a few hundred back say OK and clean it up with a rubber wheel. :p

edit: oops I didn't think of the valves open and what might be inside.

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
Wrong on about 438 levels. That much you can see, scary what is going on inside the engine.

Was it delivered by Hurricane Laura?

I would have them come pick it up, and full refund.

If you buy again, have pictures sent prior to shipment.

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately you’re going to have to pull the heads to check cylinder walls and rings, the cam, and the crank. Some of those valves are open, judging by the push rods and lifters position. Chances are moisture is in a lot of other places. Does it turn over by hand?

Haven't tried to turn it over, it's still in its shipping crate. The purpose of buying the engine in this state was to NOT do those things. :(

I've sent the sales person I bought it from a message but they are in NE and I opened it after work today in SoCal so they were already closed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As others have said - you may want to put a bore scope camera down the spark plug holes and see what it looks like inside...

that seems to be quite a bit of rusting and who knows what it looks like on the inside...

Is this from a well known online business or from some small shop?

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As others have said - you may want to put a bore scope camera down the spark plug holes and see what it looks like inside...

that seems to be quite a bit of rusting and who knows what it looks like on the inside...

Is this from a well known online business or from some small shop?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't tried to turn it over, it's still in its shipping crate. The purpose of buying the engine in this state was to NOT do those things. :(

I've sent the sales person I bought it from a message but they are in NE and I opened it after work today in SoCal so they were already closed.
That’s a return for sure, I missed that you got it Wednesday. You shouldn’t have to look for rust damage. Do they rebuild engines in the US or is it done overseas? That’s not just flash rust.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s a return for sure, I missed that you got it Wednesday. You shouldn’t have to look for rust damage. Do they rebuild engines in the US or is it done overseas? That’s not just flash rust.

Based on the pictures on their website, I would say they do them here: About Us

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on the pictures on their website, I would say they do them here: About Us
You should be able to get a new engine, fairly easily. Judging by their facility something went really wrong in the warehouse or with the freight company.

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should be able to get a new engine, fairly easily. Judging by their facility something went really wrong in the warehouse or with the freight company.

I hope so, they are certainly no fly by night 1 man show. I honestly wasn't sure how big a deal it was until I get the feedback here. It may in fact not be a big deal but I don't know. I also bought a crate motor so I explicitly DON'T have to do what some of the suggestions are to check it out. That's not what I paid for.

I won't be able to talk to anyone until Monday though which bums me out that I didn't open it sooner, but oh well.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Keep us updated, I'm curious to follow the outcome.

·
Registered
65 Coupe
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe it's just me, but I'd expect to receive a new "crate motor" sealed in a plastic bag with a BIG bag of desiccant packed in with it.
There's the bag, it was sealed and as I mentioned up top the valve covers were wet with condensation. Had I realized it I would have taken pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Your profile says you live in Laguna Beach. Some of the best engine builders in the world are a short drive from you.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts