Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed w/ the carb some more and it now runs. I changed the hot idle compensator(little doo dad on the back of the choke tower) gasket and the gasket on the choke. After that i removed the small plate under the carb and found that it was cracked in a couple places. The truck now starts and runs well at all engine rpms except idle. I think I need to do a little adjusting and hopefully I can get it to idle but as of now it wont unless it has alot of choke (not quite full choke). w/o the choke it simply dies off. It doesn't sputter or nothing, just dies. Hopefully I can work that out. Thanks to all that tried to help especially camachinist.
Thanks,
Jeremy

You can never have too much power, just not enough traction.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Still sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere...

What happens when you rap the throttle and let go...does the engine snap back to idle or just sorta settle back...

What happens when you open the throttle with the choke partially applied....?? do you get black smoke out the back??

Keep us posted...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a quick throttle snap it settles back into idle and then settles more and dies. I haven't really noticed black smoke but then again I havent really looked for it. It runs smoothly as long as your on the throttle, when your off the throttle it dies.

You can never have too much power, just not enough traction.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Time to go on a vacuum leak safari....

Be meticulous in your efforts and post back with what you find...don't overlook any possibility, no matter how remote.....

Does the engine burn any oil? Also, have you done a cranking compression test recently? Have you put a vacuum guage on the engine recently?

Questions, questions...*G*

Remind me....what happens if you turn the idle mixture screws out 2 or 3 more turns (CCW)?? And that the fuel levels checked out ok?

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts