Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, thanks for all your advice! Weirdly enough, the car "fixed" itself.

So yesterday, I get home from work ready to disconnect the battery, but figure I might as well mess around and try to figure out the problem. I hook the coil wire back up, went inside the car, Put the keys in the ignition, turned it, and the car started right up. Turned the key off, and the car turned off. Did this for about 10 minutes, and seemed to work fine. Brought the car to work today and worked fine.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna get messed up pretty soon, but still dont know what it is. You guys still think it's the ignition switch?

·
Registered
326 Posts
In your last post you mentioned it started acting up after taking it to the car wash. I think this got some water where it shouldn't have been. This would explain why it 'fixed itself' - the water dried out.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car worked fine after washing it. It was later that night that it gave me problems...

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
those type problems always come back. quite sure its your ign switch because thats the only place coil can get 12 Vs except from the "I" term on solenoid and in that case your engine would be cranking due to relay in solenoid pulled up to put 12 Vs for starting.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Well, the "nice" thing about mystery intermittant electrical problems is that eventually they are no longer intermittant and you have to fix em. My first guess after reading your post yesterday was ignition switch. I'll bet it still is the switch but I wouldn't change it out either unless it became a regular issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I beg to differ. I had an ignition switch problem on the 68. Sometimes it wouldn't return to "on" position from "start" properly, especially in cold weather. I knew it was a problem and had even ordered a new switch. But I never got around to replacing it. Eventually, something inside the switch broke and shorted out. This caused the entire underdash harness to fry. Then I had a much bigger problem than just the switch!!! Lesson: If you have a problem fix it ASAP or it might develop into a bigger (more expensive) problem. Just my .02

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts