Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went an measure the distance between the two towers on a car show mustang and compared it with mine. The difference was about 1" being mine closer in. So I guess this comfirms that the towers have collapse inwards. I bet the montecarlo BAR wont even fit. I have talked to a friend that has access to a frame machine, but have has never done a mustang. (mostly used for new car in crashes) so he said we could pull it, but we dont know how. Anyway, the other option is, I talked to a mechanic and they make offset shafts and bushings kits that by installing them in the upper control arm, would give enought distance to bring the car back to specs. Have you guys heard anything about this? This mechanic said that this a quite commun fix in old cars. However, he does not think those kits are easy to find anymore.

Anybody has heard anything like that??

thanks so much everyone!

joey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the monte carlo bar and export brace and rent a porta power. use the porta power to spread the towers apart till the montecarlo bar fits then do the same to get the exprot brace in. after that towers will be back in line. i do that before using offset bushings etc.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Instaed of a porta-power, you can use a 2X4 piece of wood and a hydraulic bottle jack. This according to several prior post on VMF, mine actually fit perfectly!

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Like this. ::

http://www.tucsonpony.com/brace1.jpg

·
Registered
762 Posts
Laurie_S

Great picture...I tried that method but didn't have the extra set of hands and the jack kept falling down. Finally got both the export and Monte Carlo brace in using the 'long bolt' method and lots of elbow grease. During the effort I noticed my passenger side shock tower had been welded near the bottom. Looks like whoever did it did a good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts