Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just finished fixing SWMBOs leak!!!! FYI the coolant passage on the drivers side was leaking bad. I could squeeze the lower rad hose and it would spray out. But to see this, I had to remove the power steering pump, for which I had to remove the power steering pulley (because a bolt that holds it on is behind it)which requires a very special puller (kinda borrowed from the local parts store). Next I had to remove the water pump, which required removing the crank pulley, major tight space and you need an impact wrench (I removed the electric Fan to get in there), Now I got the water pump off. Next I had to take the harmonic balancer off (another special puller). Once this was off, I could remove the timing chain cover and put a new gasket on and lotsa silicone!!!
Well hopefully that leak is gone and no new ones show up. I took the opportunity to install an underdrive pulley set on her car at the same time!!! I learned a lot and now I can get back to my 66:)

TJ - Highland Village, TX (DFW area)

66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
TJ, I hope you did not use that much silicone sealer. When you bolt the parts together it squeezes the excess out and then winds up clogging the oil pump pickup screen. The silicone gasket maker is great stuff but must be used sparingly. John

It would be a shame to have passed the test but to have missed the lesson.

·
Registered
405 Posts
what a job, seems like so much work for a little leak. Oh well, next time you can do it without even thinking about it.

Do you notice any difference w/ the underdrives?

http://66cherry.stangnet.com
Member NTMC
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1611748&a=12299913&p=44922660.jpg

66 Vert, new 302 custom roller motor
99 Expedition
90 Caravan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts