Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This is for a 66, so It may not be exactly the same: #1 and 2 are fed power from ignition switch, so it must be in Accy or ON.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Schematic

#3 gets power from the light switch, and it must be in the park (1st detent) or On position (2nd detent), and the knob turned CCW for full brightness.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Circle

·
Registered
267 Posts
Use the wiring diagrams in your 1965 Ford Shop Manual (FSM) like these to track what's in the circuit you are troubleshooting:
1965 Mustang Wiring Page 1 (click to enlarge)
1965 Mustang Wiring Page 2

Don't have a set of FSMs? You may be wasting a lot of time, trouble and cost. Many if not most questions on these forums have answers (or how to find them) in the FSM. They are an excellent investment. I prefer the books over the CDs or files, as I can flip through them and handle them easily out at the vehicle. Good luck!

·
Registered
42,892 Posts
Just a note..... While reassembling Charlie's '65 I found that the dash lights weren't working. I rotated the switch from one limit to the other and they flickered once but that was it. I removed the switch to inspect the rheostat. It was full of green fuzz. A cleaning and dressing of the contacts with some abrasive brought the switch, which is original to the 53k car, back to proper operation.

Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Camera Point-and-shoot camera

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a note..... While reassembling Charlie's '65 I found that the dash lights weren't working. I rotated the switch from one limit to the other and they flickered once but that was it. I removed the switch to inspect the rheostat. It was full of green fuzz. A cleaning and dressing of the contacts with some abrasive brought the switch, which is original to the 53k car, back to proper operation.

View attachment 856663
Yep. Mine had the same green fuzz.

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
What Woodchuck said. Standard procedure for me is to rotate the dimmer knob back and forth a half dozen times or so. Usually cleans the contacts well enough so the dash lights function properly on a car that's been sitting. If you're taking stuff apart, clean the rheostat as he shows above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts