Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I let the tank sit for a week, getting warm and clear. Added the right coating stuff and no amonia. I went out and bought my oscar. It is an albino one. As of right now I have had hom in the tank for a few hours. He has been acting strange. He sits at the bottom like he is depressed and looks almost dead, but then he will get up and go swimming around the tank, and then back to the bottom. I hope he is not dying!!! My tank is the right temp, clean, and all I have in it is pebbles at the bottom. I think he is depressed to be in this big tank by himself!!! Any advice would be great....! :: ::

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe he needs some company.......or a few crickets to eat.

If I were him I would want a girl fishy friend.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Actually, what your pet shop salesperson, And us here giving you advice earlier, should have made clear, was that there are certain "starter fish " that you need to "cycle" your tank with. Often these are either feeder goldfish, or a few selecteced tropicals, like danios, white clouds, platies, & swordtails. For a 40 gallon tank 10 fish of about 1-2" should do. During the cycle period, your tank will go through 2 stages. A high ammonia spike, then a high nitrate spike which is completely normal! Do not disturb the bacterial bed , or do water changes during this time period unless EXTREMELY neccessary. At the end of the cycle period, most fish stores offer a trade in policy where they will give you credit for a percentage of what your starters are worth. Then you get your main tank denizens. (Unless of course you like your starters, and then you sloooowly add.) Oscars as mentioned are VERY messy eater, and tend to put a load on the ammonia levels. Since the ammonia is the first to spike, chances are this is what your fish is going through. At this point, it may be too late to reacclimate him to "Cleaner" water. Maybe add an airstone, and make sure he eats everything you put in the tank, and feed him sparingly for a few days/

BTW...Now is NOT the time to add any friends! Your ammonia levels in the tank are climbing and any new denizens would stand less of a chance.

·
Registered
616 Posts
By the way....... I was stationed at Mountian Home AFB in 1980 for 2 yrs. Man that was the start of my 22 yrs in.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If all you have is gravel in the tank, he may be a little stressed out at the bare tank also, try anchoring a large plastic plant (protected by a rock suitible for aquarium use.) Although with Oscars it eventually becomes a moot point to anchor any decor as they redecorate to their own tastes! Nice choice...I have a 2 year old pair of Albino's in my tank right now!

·
Registered
553 Posts
yeah, later that rock may come in handy in keeping the top on the aquarium! oscars like to get a little wild sometimes.
i had one about... well 10-12 years ago... man it HAS been that long. WOW. there went some gray hairs popping out. anyway, oscars are a very fun fish, and can grow fast if given the room. i had a 25 gallon long tank and the one i had got to be a little over a foot in length. ended up selling it back to the petstore.

hmmm now i feel like i want an aquarium again... gonna lay down till the feeling passes.

i'd rather work on the Mustang than clean the fish tank :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Make sure you check your PH also. I can't remember exactly what is should be but I do know the water around here isn't the best. I may have a book left from when I had a couple of tanks. I can check if you need me to. Also when you add fish to the tank, let the bag float for a while to adjust the temp in the bag. And after the water in the bag has adjusted, open it and add a small amout from the tank. This will help to not "shock the fish if the ph is very different. Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its been 4 hours and the fish has been doing a lot of swimming. The only wierd thing is when he SITS on the the bottom he kinda leans like he wants to lay down. THen he is up swimming again. I didnt quite understand the starter fish deal. I guess now I will just have to see what happens to my albino. Will he live? All I have to feed him for now is the flakes. I figured that would be ok since he is only an inch and a half long. SHOULD I ADD SOME OTHER FISH NOW, or should I just wait....for somthing? :: ::

·
Registered
185 Posts
About the only thing I would add would be a few feeder guppies if anything. DO you have a PH test kit? If not, look for a cheap one at Wally World next time you are down that way. What is your water temp at? If this fish doesn't make it, I would just put in some guppies or other cheap fish (not goldfish, they are MESSY) until the water gets right. I will look for my fish books for you.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If it's any consolation, it may just be the fish's personality. My fish lie on the aquarium floor often also. I have them in a plexi tank, where there is a sort of built in top. I can't fill it to the top or they will literally knock themselves out. They do tricks for food, and will follow you as you move back and forth from the tank....quite the characters....don't let your fingers dangle too close to the opening or they'll jump for it.

Before adding ANYTHING 9fishwise) take a sample of your water to the fish store, most do a test free or cheaply, they will let you know if it is safe, Now might be the time to add another oscar of the same size or a little larger before he stakes his territory, or you will have some battles later on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also later in the tanks life, you may want to add a pleco (common) they are some of the few fish that can put up with an Oscar... and they are good about cleaning the glass. A messy Oscar will dirty the glass walls of a tank very quicky.

Most of the time the first week of getting a fish is it's hardest time. Since it just got moved from tank to tank.

Young Oscars do like the company of other Oscars, however like a light switch they suddenly want to be alone.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Forgot to mention:

Don't rely on feeders (guppies or goldfish) as the sole source of nutrition for your fish. They will wreak havoc with your pH and Ammonia levels, and do not have enough nutrients to keep your fish their healthiest (believe it or not). A good cichlid pellet should suffice.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
PH SHOCK!!! This will kill a weak fish. Whenever you are putting a fish into a new tank You should pour the bag and fish into a seperate container. Then use a piece of airline tubing , and tie a loose knot in it. Siphon water from the tank into the container with the fish in it, tightening the knot until it is a regular drip. Run it this way for 2-3 hours. Then introduce the fish into the tank.
Whebn adding new fish into an established community, quarentine the new ones in a seperate tank for at least 4 weeks. This will help stop the spread of disease.

·
Registered
201 Posts
pleco is called a plecostomus (spelling). they are an algie eater. they are a prehistoric looking fish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts