Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have gotten time to work on my Lil' Red. As I mentioned a few months ago, I took out the engine and discovered it needed a few new parts. A few weeks ago, I scheduled my car to go into the shop on Wednesday of this week to have work done to a cracked shock tower and a part replaced in the engine bay. A day ago, I ordered new parts for my engine. I decided to go with a wrap around heat shield for the starter to solve the problem of it being really close to hot parts of the engine. I got a new oil pan and oil pump since the old pan was dented and a new pump can help the car run better after a few years. The same goes for the new distributor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. I also ordered a new manifold gasket since the old one was warped and needed to be replaced anyway, same goes for the header gaskets. Hopefully if all goes well, the engine will be ready to go back into the car on the weekend with the addition of its new parts. After this, I may be able to drive it freely around the neighborhood once more. Since the tires are 14 years old and are starting to crack, it wouldn't be wise to drive it onto the street just yet. I am going to get Cooper Cobra Tyres in a few weeks once I have a bit more money. Anyways, until then, all I can hope for is the best to happen!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Return the new distributor and send the old one to Dan at the Mustang barn in Pennsylvania. He will set up for the correct advance curve. Your engine will perform well. Stock dizzys are usually off. Cost is reasonable. Ph 215-723-9674. His turn around time is very good. Give him a call. Photos of your car? Bill

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have never had much luck with wrapping the big starter's...maybe convert over to a mini starter and wrap the header...especially if the header is already off! Did you go with a stock replacement pan, or get crazy and order the scott drake boss 302 one. Glad to hear you're still working on trying to get things fixed up! It takes time and money, and a good attitude!

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a replacement oil pan for the car that is 1 inch deeper. I don't know if that will affect the amount of oil needed. On the starter, I could wrap the headers, but maybe if I start to see problems with the starter even though it will be wrapped. On the distributor, I returned the old one since I didn't buy the correct wires for it which were for the old one. I did look closer at the distributor and saw that it was a petronix flamethrower. Most people on another forum I am in say that I can use the old one. I could ship it to Pennsylvania, but it is on the other side of the country. I believe there is a place near me that another person on forums suggested called Mustang MD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI : If you have a deeper pan, you’ll need to add a deeper pickup tube to your oil pump. The pick up screen should be about 1/4” off the pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts