Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I had a cardiolyte work up, and a stress test. The results came back bad. Looks like the top part of my heart isn't getting enough blood... i have a blockage. Put me on many meds, including a blood thinner, and a medicine to put my heart back in rythym. If time doesn't fix it... I have to have surgery.... the thing that sucks, and many of you probably don't know is... im only 18 years old.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Good luck man, I hope the meds work for you. Open heart surgery seems to be a bad thing all around. Just wait till you hit 21, then start drinking heavily. Whiskey is a great blood thinner. Just kidding.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Well you should know everything will be OK. The next step is usually an angiogram to se what the problem really is. Trust me. This procedure is easier than going to the dentist. Nothing to worry about.

An angioplasty is much the same procedure except they open up the artery. Be brave! You are in good hands!

The medicine may be all you need to be better! If you are still worried send me a PM. Been there done that!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
David, sorry to hear about your heart. Good news is, it was caught in time, and time is on your side, being 18. You will be able to heal a little easier because of your age. Gald you are still here to update us. Take it easy, listen to your Docs, and get 2nd opinions if you feel the need. We'll be here for you!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
hang in there. Everyone in the Chat Room is rooting for you. I think a LOT of us can identify with serious health problems, regardless of age. Hell, i can remember arriving in Vietnam and being told (I was 19) how long we could expect to "survive" and the odds of us going home in a body bag. Keep us informed and you are DEFINITELY in my prayers...

randy

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
David,

Put yourself in God's hands and follow your Dr's advice. You will be in my prayers, so keep me posted.

Jerry

G

·
Not much a person can add to what's already been said, except you have to be brave so you can get your parents through this! They need you kid! You know stuff like this is harder on the grown ups than it is on the kids. Believe me I know. My 3 year old granddaughter has leukemia and she's taking better than any of us big people are. Good luck, you'll be in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that they told you or you already know, but you have to be very careful when you are on blood thinners. If you get a cut that may have been minor in the past, it could become something much more serious if your blood is thinned. Hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Even though it sucks to have this type of condition at a young age, it works in your favor. Your recovery will be much less than an older patient. I have two friends, both with different heart related conditions. One had a heart transplant over 20yrs ago at the age of 18, thanks to a "Donor-cycle" accident victim (many thanks). The other has heart problems as a result of Marfans Syndrome (excellerated growth). He's had multiple open heart surgeries, one thru his back, several heart attacks, and has had one lung removed. A pace-maker keeps his ticker going. He wasn't supposed to live past his teens, and he's now 34. He's a good guy and has a great attitude towards "Life"...

The human body can work wonders. Sometimes it needs a little help.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Yikes, Dave, that sucks. Really sorry to hear that.

Wonder if they've got you on Coumadin and Atenolol (beta-blocker which works good with arrhythmias or A-fib)?

If you're chronic, and an efficacious procedure is available, I'd go for it. Drugs suck, long-term. They do too many ancilliary things to the body, IMO, especially the liver and kidneys.

Keep us posted on your progress! You'll beat this!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health troubles. SWMBO read your post and she (being a RN) said that in addition to your medication you should start eating a heart healthy diet and engage in a daily walk for exercise. If you should need surgery she said the good news is that a lot of folks do not need to remain on most of the medications after sugery. However if the drugs fix the problem you may need to remain on them indefinitely, having them adjusted periodically. Just make sure that if you feel it necessary, get a second opinion. If you need an angioplasty, I can tell you from 1st hand experience the biggest inconvienence of it is staying on your back for 4-6 hours...but the good thing is that they get a consent to do stents at the same time they are checking for blockages...so it's one stop shopping so to speak.
We will be praying for you and that you have a swift recovery and that you will not need to go under the knife.
God bless.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
David Our familes prayers will be with you. Having just gone through Heart surgery for 6th time with our 7 year old let me give you some encouragment.

They tried to repair his heart as and infant with no success and waited till this spring to attempt the repair as the temp repair was giving out. Trying to make Long story short, they gave us less the 50% chance of repair and than no gauantee on how effective it would be. There other option was a radical surgery which would of lasted maybe another 5 years and left him with only option a transplant at maybe 11 and then again as needed.

The outcome was more than we could of dreamed of, they were able to do repair and it has worked better than they ever thought possible, really a record case for them never had results anywhere this good. Now my son (Edward) can do all the things he was unable to before without running out of energy after couple minutes Now he never stops and of course he and we are just overwhelmed.

Miricales DO HAPPEN I got alot of surport for memembers of this forum during the trying times I can honestly say don't know how I could of got through it without it.

We are all pulling for you Know this and the power of VMF sure helped us.

Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about your condition. Im 19 and just a year ago my dad who is 53 had a 5 way bypass here at stanford medical in california. I tell you its amazing what they can do these days with surgery. I realize it doesnt make it much easier to deal with but have confidence in your doctors, they truly are miracle workers, and have faith. Your 18 you can do anything. Your age and health assuming is pretty good, are on your side. My dads still around telling of his mustang days , and ill be praying that you will be telling of yours for years to come.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Good luck David! Theres not much else that can be said.Just KNOW that we will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Be strong and do what the doc says! FastE

1 - 20 of 27 Posts