Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in june, when I was supposed to drop my car off for paint, the bodyshop post-poned the date to August 11th. During the wait, the bodyman told me to find a new (better than the one on my car) hood for my car.

After getting home from a vacation to Oregon/Washington 2 weeks ago, the first thing I do is get on the phone and try to find a hood. After looking at 10 orginal hoods, I gave up and bought a Scott Drake repro hood- (VERY NICE!!!). After buying the hood, I decided it would be best If I show it to the bodyman for approval- he thought it was very nice. Before I left, he also told me that it will be AT LEAST another 3 weeks wait on top of the already 2 months- I left very unhappy.

A few days pass (remember I am almost 18, and my car means the world to me so I really want to drive it again), and I finally got the nerve up to go talk to the bodyman to see if ANYTHING can be done to get my car (which is bare naked) into the paint shop sooner. He said he does not make any money off of old cars ($5000) and that insurance work is his first priority (okay i understand). I told him I went home the night of the Knott's berry farm show (april 28th) and started taking my car apart only because he gave me a certain deadline- he did not care.

I told him I will be okay with the 3 week wait as long as he can get my car back in time for a february car show- he said he will not promise me my car any time soon (this is after he said it will be done in 2 months!) and that it might take up to a year.

Today I went to a body shop that is also close to my house and talked to the owner for a good hour. He had another mustang in the shop and I showed him what each panel on my car needed. He will do all of the same work as bodyshop number 1 for the same price, but he will guarantee dates because he is only into the old cars.

I can drop my car off in 3 weeks, and it will take 5 weeks to finish-

The work includes- bodywork, right rear quarter panel rust, weld trim holes, paint interior, paint engine bay, all jambs, mount hood, decklid, and doors, and colorsand- $5000

I put my name on the waiting list but I would still like to call more shops. Any other good paint shops in the riverside/san diego/ orange county area??

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for letting me vent about this whole situation. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You're probably best to pass on the first bodyman...he really doesn't seem to care....& that's not the guy you want. I know it's a trip, but Fresno Bodyworks (Fresno) does very, very nice work and are resonable in the price. Alhtough $5K for what you're doing does not sound bad....but I would suggest it will take more than 3 weeks to complete.....probably 4-5 weeks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For bodyshop #2- I am on a 3 week waiting list- the actual work will take 5 weeks.

After talking with bodyshop #1 I do realize that he is not too enthusiastic about my car- he seems like he does mostly chebbys. ::

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I would avoid bodyshop #1 at all cost! Even if he ever did get to your car, I can see all kinds of short cuts he would possibly take just to get it in and out, so he could get his bread & butter insurance jobs back in.

Keep looking, when it comes to body & upholstery shops, one thing I recommend is interviewing them for the job. Make sure they qualify you expectations of what you want. I'm sure you have been on a few job interviews, treat it as such. Don't be a jerk about it, just ask question on how they will fix the rust or prep the body, etc. Ask to see some of their work! Everytime someone comes into my work, and interviews us to work on their car, I'm impressed, and will usually give them a tour of the place! Just because I know they care about the car, and will not go out and thrash the work or time our shop invested in their car, and if we are so lucky, and they like what we did, they will tell others about us.

This will help you narrow down your selection, and then choose the one that best fits your needs.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I remember you! :)

There are probably about 10-15 bodyshops in my town.

3 of the shops do old cars- 1 would be maaco, another would be the place I was going to go to, and the other would be a place that used to do good work but got a bad rep.

I have been searching the yellow pages on the internet and have about 10 other places in southern california to call tomorrow.

Talk to you later...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That first body guy sounds like a jerk... id say lose him and find someone better.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My body work and paint is 10k. I waited so far...6 months. The car had no bondo. I have 2 weeks more, then it should be done. 2 months he didn't even start because of insurance work just like you mentioned. I personally think he's losing money on the deal because he's been wet sanding forever.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I feel for ya, I have the same problem except my paint man told me he could get to it right away if he wasn't busy with insurance work.
Well he wasn't went I first talked to him but by the time he got my car he was and I am waiting and have been waiting for whats going on 2 months.
My only complaint is he has told me a couple of times when he gets this car out or that car out he's going to jump on mine right away.
So far that hasn't happened.
But I have seen his work and know his reputation so I will wait.
Good things come to those who are patient. Quailty work is worth the wait for me.
My attitude is if the first shop has a quality reputaion maybe you should resolve your self to waiting for the car . From the posts I have read here and the people I have talked to, most body shops are very much the same in how they deal with the classic cars, slow !

Gary

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,497 Posts
When you go to a shop that specializes in insurance work, they usually consider your car as "fill" work...something to fill the time between insurance jobs. It could take quite a long time for all the "fill" to add up to a completed car. If, you were willing to pay insurance rates for your job it would likley graduate to their mainstream schedule and be completed in a more timely manner. My buddy took his '70 vert to such a shop last October. It looks like the car will not be celerating its one year anniversary there as it is now being reassembled and should be out in a couple of weeks. It's been a long time!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
When you remove your car from B.S. #1, don't let the jerk bully you into paying a "storage fee". He could not live up to his word. Also be aware that many of your parts have a way of going missing in body shops. Usually they end up on Ehay or the like.

G

·
0 Posts
I have not dealt with or heard of a paint and body shop that finishes when they say they will. I'm sure there are acceptions but I don't know of any. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts