Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a message the other day, 289 stalls Under Load and got a number of suggestions...

The engine idles but sputters and wants to stall under load when the transmission is engaged. Managed to take it around the block though.

Here are my plans based on your suggestions:

1. Loosen the rocker adjustments to 1/8-1/4 turn. They are currently tightened 1/2 turn after the pushrod slack was taken up.

2. Separate the Vacuum Advance line to the passenger side port (Edelbrock carb) and the Trans Modulator to the driver side.

3. Adjust the timing to 12 degrees or so.

4. Adjust the idle speed to 800 RPM

5. Adjust the idle mixture to obtain maximum vacuum reading. I should expect 12-15 with the slight CAM that I have installed.

6. If Vacuum is still low, look for vacuum leaks using Carb Cleaner spray can to isolate ... look for engine RPM to increase. Check around carb and manifold.

7. If problem is still not fixed, try moving the Dist. 1 tooth (I don't have much faith in this... should I?)

8. Check back w/ the Machine Shop ... they suggested the valves are adjusted too tight.

Thanks for all the help and I'll post an update after the weekend.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"# 7 try moving dist one tooth"

Why? you would only do this if you had no more adjustment in the dist (such as vacumm advance hitting something)
Eaiser way is to move the wires on top of the dist one over (cc to advance and ccw to retard IIRC)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
try moving the Dist. 1 tooth (I don't have much faith in this... should I?)

Concur with other poster...not necessary unless vacuum advance pod is interferring with manifold or other engine part...you just rotate the distributor body to adjust timing. As the engine runs OK at idle, I'll assume the basic timing is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts