Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This barely scratches the surface of my fold down seat picture collection, but most of the important stuff is here.

Feel free to share. Also feel free to update me on any bad info I may have inadvertantly included.

http://www.folddownseat.com/

Hope this helps,
Sam

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,682 Posts
Sam:

Just a point of reference, my early San Jose built '67 came with the fold down seat option but it did not include the latch covers. There is no evidence of my car ever having the latch covers. FWIW there is a fastback on ebay that was built one day earlier than mine and it does not appear to have the latch covers either.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks Jeff, I'll add that in.

BTW, what kind of trap door latch does your car have? Knob or loop?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sam,

I love the picture of you and your Dad! That is just a very cool picture!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Sam - nice effort... Will have to take some time to sit down and go through the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Great job! Great reference material!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I just had this conversation with Paul at Mustang Magic - my 67 very late build also does not have the latch covers and no evidence of them ever being there.

Also I am looking for a drivers side slider if anyone has one please let me know.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
- my 67 very late build also does not have the latch covers and no evidence of them ever being there.
By evidence are you referring to the lack of use/threads of the mounting points

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Jeff - yes that is what I was referring to. I am out of town but will post pics Friday.

Anything is possible as I know my fold down had several parts missing.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,682 Posts
Mine has the knob latch on the trap door.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Another thing to look for through all those 30K pictures. I'll check my stuff - I know the cover no cover is considered a running change but have not spent to the time to compare those with or without to plant and month

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
Another thing to look for through all those 30K pictures. I'll check my stuff - I know the cover no cover is considered a running change but have not spent to the time to compare those with or without to plant and month
Jeff, as much as I posted on that website, I feel like I'm just at the tip of the iceburg on information needed. Still lots of unanswered questions I have...

dates/plants 65 style rectangular support plates changed over to the oval style

dates/plants rubber stop bumper changed from the boot shape as I call it to the round hood bumper shape.

dates/plants the trap door latch changed from the knob style to the loop style.

dates/plants the latch trim molding changed from flat to recessed for the latch guide.

dates/plants the 67-68 trap door molding changed from having the screws through the front to bolts through the door (can't remember what those type of bolts are called though).

We've touched on paint schemes here too, and that's a whole anohter can of worms.

There is even more minutia I didn't touch such as the type of hardware used for the trap door latch catch which changed several times, the length of the knobs on the side latches, the holes for mounting the side latches being round or oval, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
My 67 Shelby has no latch access covers. But it's funny how there they are on the car in the webpage photo that is clearly a 65 or a 66. Like Ford assigned a different batch of engineers to the 67 redesign.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're talking about the picture that is looking down at the oval support plate from outside the window, yes, that is of a 66.

I took the liberty of using the same picture of the oval support plate since it is the focal point without considering that people would look around it.

I'll fix the pic.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
I just had this conversation with Paul at Mustang Magic - my 67 very late build also does not have the latch covers and no evidence of them ever being there.

My car has them (built July 25 San Jose).

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I stand corrected it looks like they were removed and I never even noticed. Actually it looks like all the good parts were stripped when I go the car which is consistent with every other part on the car.

Thanks that is a great source of information, especially as I get ready to redo my entire interior.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
I stand corrected it looks like they were removed and I never even noticed. ..........

Thanks for double checking ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts